The intern will be an integral part of the Public Policy Division, providing support for the National Recreation and Park Association’s (NRPA) Park Champion initiative. The intern will also research and disseminate information on legislation and public policies impacting NRPA’s members. The ideal candidate should be passionate about local park conservation, promoting the public health benefits of local parks, and committed to ensuring equity in park and recreation access for all Americans.
The intern will be responsible for the following activities:
1. Work with NRPA Public Policy Division staff and NRPA members on developing ‘grasstops’ Park Champion events in Congressional Districts across the United States.
2. Help NRPA members plan and coordinate Park Champion events. Provide regular communications with members.
3. Work with NRPA staff to track legislation and write issue briefs and calls to action on key legislation.
4. Schedule meetings and manage calendar requests for Public Policy Division staff
5. Manage and organize contacts.
6. Conduct meeting follow-up and documentation.
7. Assist with travel scheduling and itineraries.
8. Perform other tasks as needed.
The intern will be required to provide weekly reports to the Public Policy Division staff. The intern must possess the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, occasionally under strict deadlines. Strong attention to detail, exceptional written communication skills, integrity, a willingness to learn and a good sense of humor are also required.
- Intern will leave with a better understanding of the legislative process, the importance of advocacy, and how parks and recreation agencies impact their communities.
- Internship based in NRPA’s Washington, DC office, with opportunities to assist in Capitol Hill meetings, and liaise with key federal agencies.
- Working in a responsible, professional setting, intern will have the opportunity to test their project- and time-management skills.
- Students are encouraged to apply the internship toward school credit.
- Position pays $15 per hour.