The Executive Assistant to the Dean provides high level administrative support to the Law School Dean’s suite. This full-time position reports to the Dean, but has discretionary authority and responsibility for carrying out his/her job functions on behalf of the Dean, and exercises independent judgment in prioritizing work and problem solving. The ideal candidate will approach work with vigor and determination, multi-task like a pro, and anticipate a need before it arises.
Primary responsibilities include managing the Dean’s meeting and travel schedule, managing workflow and correspondence, and researching and preparing drafts on a variety of subjects. The Executive Assistant is also responsible for implementing and managing the general operations within the Dean’s Office including budget, staffing, facilities, and special events. The Dean’s suite is proud to serve a diverse population of not only faculty, students, and staff, but also interacts with a wide and varied group of internal and external constituents. The successful candidate will need to work well across these diverse communities.
• Provide direct staff support to the Dean, employing exceptional discretion, professionalism, independent action, and appropriate judgment
• Coordinate and schedule meetings, establishing appointment priorities. Meetings and events can be high profile and with participants including dignitaries, the judiciary (including Supreme Court Justices, members of the legal community, senior executives, donors, Board members, etc.)
• Oversee daily operation of the department within our college
• Organize meeting materials and appointment files for the dean to ensure that the Dean is well-briefed and prepared for scheduled meetings, events, and routine executive functions
• Make travel arrangements for the Dean and prepare reimbursement requests
• Develops and implements new administrative initiatives, processes, and workflows to align with the college’s policy and procedure
• Draft, prepare, and edit a variety of written materials and proofread correspondence prepared by other offices for the Dean to sign
• Triage, manage, distribute Dean’s office incoming correspondence, as appropriate
• Forge and maintain excellent working relationships with internal team and key staff, including delegating and gaining collaboration on projects and tasks as needed
• Manages overall office facilities and leads projects to implement space and equipment changes
• Serve as liaison to various university departments and the community regarding requests for information and problem resolution. This person is a key administrator for pulling together vast amounts of information for the ABA accreditation review visit. Some of the information readily exists, but much of it involves research, outreach, compilation, etc.
• Secure and compile information requested by the Dean for a variety of uses (e.g., remarks, meetings, presentations, etc.)
• Receive and interact with incoming guests as well as respond to inquiries and make referrals as appropriate. Guests to the office include but are not limited to dignitaries, members of the judiciary, executives, University leadership, and members of the legal community.
• Organize, maintain, and monitor appropriate access to Dean’s and Dean’s Office confidential electronic and hard copy files
• Manage the schedule and details of faculty meetings, review of probationary faculty, promotion and tenure process, chairs and professorships, faculty reviews
• Coordinate logistical details for faculty events
• Monitor and oversee reservations and activities for the Lindquist and Vennum Conference Room and the Dean’s Conference Room
• Supervise the Dean’s Office receptionist and ensure cross-training to provide adequate office coverage