About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Reporting to the Senior Facilities Contracts Officer, the Contracts Officer will provide procurement, contracting, reporting, and records management support for the Facilities Department. Develop procurement and contract documents for design and construction related services and non-capital contracts. Liaison with the Virginia Tech Procurement Department, Office of Legal Counsel, university stakeholders and Facilities staff to expedite the development and execution of contractual agreements. Evaluate proposed costs and process contract change orders in a timely manner with emphasis on best value. Maintain digital and paper contract files, uploading all relevant documentation to the departmental records database. Serve as the Virginia Construction Contracting Officer providing technical guidance for procurement activities such as pre-bid/pre-proposal meetings and bid openings. Administer procurement activities to ensure compliance with state laws, regulations and university policies. Place appropriate advertisements for procurement activities in newspapers and web based procurement resources. Support the collection of SWaM statistics. Participate in contract negotiations and dispute resolution issues as requested. Demonstrate, train and communicate ethical contracting standards within Facilities. Ensure full compliance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, Higher Education Purchasing guidelines and university policies. Provide activity reporting internally and to the State. Assist with other projects as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Business or Construction related field, or education and/or equivalent work experience in procurement or contracting.
- Experience in the procurement and contracting of complex, high dollar products and contract services.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite in a Windows operating system environment.
- Demonstrated record of being highly organized, responsive and detail oriented.
- Strong comprehension of business principles, math, and administrative practices.
- Ability to collaborate well within a division, learn quickly, and exhibit excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to obtain the Virginia Construction Contracting Officer (VCCO) certification within 18 months of appointment.
- Experience in the procurement and contracting of complex, multi-million dollar building design and construction related services.
- Experience with various construction procurement and contracting methods including Design-Build, and Construction Manager at Risk.
- Procurement and/or contracting of design and construction related services within the public sector.
- Working knowledge of Virginia procurement and contracting practices as outlined in the Commonwealth of Virginia Construction and Professional Services Manual (CPSM), the Commonwealth of Virginia Purchasing Manual for Institutions of Higher Education and their vendors, and the Virginia Public Procurement Act.
- Virginia Construction Contracting Officer (VCCO) certification.
- Construction cost estimating experience.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 02/13/2017