The role of the Oncology Financial Navigator is to improve and maximize the revenue capture at SRCC/VVMC by educating and enrolling oncology patients into Third Party Assistance programs that reduce patients' out-of-pocket expenses while maximizing savings for VVMC's charity program and reducing the number of patients that fall into collections. The Financial Navigator will assist all SRCC patients in navigating available financial resources to help pay for their prescribed therapy and avoid any associated financial toxicity due to their cost of care. The Navigator will research and enroll eligible patients into financial assistance programs from all available internal and external resources, including but not limited to: the VVMC Financial Assistance Program, copay assistance programs for IV and oral drugs, drug replacement programs, grants from national oncology foundations, as well as local and community resources.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Research available Third Party Assistance (TPA) Programs for oncology patient financial assistance and continuously monitor for changes and/or updates regarding each TPA's available funding and their eligibility and enrollment requirements.
2. Obtain patient consent, verify patient financial information, and enroll all eligible patients into available financial assistance programs prior to initiating treatment at SRCC.
3. Provide patient-specific education on their insurance benefits and estimated out-of-pocket expenses for their prescribed oncology regimen prior to treatment initiation.
4. Serve as the oncology point of contact for all patient billing questions and concerns and work directly with the Patient Financial Services (PFS) staff to resolve all SRCC patient billing matters and insurance payment denials.
5. Conduct patient and caregiver interviews as needed to avoid patient financial toxicity associated with their cancer treatment and make referrals as necessary for additional outside resources.
6. Submit patient claims and applications for financial assistance in a timely and HIPAA compliant manner.
7. Post all monies received to the financial system and provide updates to patients as funding is received on their behalf.
8. Track all TPA funding received and report the information to the VP Oncology on a quarterly basis.
9. Serve as an integral member of the SRCC front office team who provides coverage and assistance as needed for planned and unplanned PTO and sick leave for the following positions: front desk/patient access, insurance verification, and medical records.
10. Perform other duties as assigned. Must be HIPAA compliant.
- Previous oncology-specific financial navigation or financial counseling experience preferred.
- Experience working in an oncology setting preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in Healthcare required.
Computer / Typing:
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within 90 days, the computers skills necessary to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, complete online benefits enrollment, etc. Must be comfortable working with various computer programs, including the Microsoft Office suite.