Abington Friends School, a Quaker co-educational day school located in Jenkintown, PA, is seeking candidates for the position of Controller. Reporting to the Director of Business & Operations, the controller is responsible for all accounting operations of the School including supervision of accounts payable and billing functions as well as financial reporting, accounting for donations, reconciling bank and investment statements, maintaining the fixed asset schedule and taking the lead position on preparation of schedules and work papers for the annual audit.
- Oversight of daily accounting activities including student billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll ensuring accurate and timely financial information.
- Preparation of monthly financial statements including variance analyses.
- Preparation of special analyses and information reports for the Director of Business & Operations as needed, including cash flow and budget forecasting.
- Assisting the Director of Business & Operations in the preparation and monitoring of departmental budgets and forecasts working with other administrators and department heads concerning budget performance.
- Assessing adequacy of internal controls and recommend, develop and draft policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Preparing work papers and acting as liaison to auditors and overseeing internal and independent audits related to financial reporting.
- Preparation of reports required by regulatory agencies including tax returns and other school specific filings as well as assisting with the preparation of trade association survey responses.
- Special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, CPA preferred, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in accounting, non-profit experience, preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively with school representatives, parents, students, and representatives from the business community.
- Working knowledge of business accounting policies, procedures, practices and software programs.
- Experience with accounting software required with Blackbaud experience preferred.
- High level of proficiency using Microsoft Excel and other Office products.
- Ability to supervise and manage multiple functions, activities and deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
AFS seeks candidates who are committed to diversity and inclusion and who value the Quaker testimonies of peace, integrity, equality and community. Interested candidates for this position should apply here:
Abington Friends School is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws.