The Nueva School, an internationally recognized, nonprofit, independent day school, has served gifted and talented students since 1967. Today, Nueva serves over 800 students PK–12 and expects to grow to over 950 students in the next few years. Nueva is located in the neighboring towns of Hillsborough and San Mateo, equidistant between San Francisco and Silicon Valley, serving six different counties throughout the Bay Area of Northern California.
A constructivist school, Nueva is known for its distinctive inquiry-based interdisciplinary studies, project-based learning, and pioneering work in social-emotional learning and design thinking. The Nueva community instills a passion for lifelong learning, fosters social and emotional acuity, and develops the imaginative mind. Our school has received the US Department of Education National Blue Ribbon Award and the American Institute of Architects Award for School Design and Sustainability, has been recognized as an Apple Distinguished Program and appointed an Ashoka Changemaker School, co-founded the Common Ground Speaker Series, hosts the biennial Innovative Learning Conference, and was highlighted by the Pulitzer Prize–winning and New York Times best-selling author Thomas Friedman in his book That Used to Be Us in the chapter “Average Is Over.”
The Nueva School seeks a talented and experienced lead kindergarten teacher to become part of our faculty. Nueva’s full-day, Reggio-inspired kindergarten program fosters students’ passion for learning by providing authentic, integrated contexts for learning. Social-emotional learning, design thinking, creativity, and intellectual engagement are at the core of the curricular program. The ideal teacher for this position is passionate about working with young gifted children, committed to innovative pedagogy, and demonstrates a personal commitment to lifelong learning. The candidate must have experience developing project-based curriculum with a team; command of concept-based mathematics instruction; and the ability to develop students in areas of social-emotional learning.
- Work with the grade-level team to develop challenging, differentiated curricula
- Mentor and collaborate with two associate teachers
- Participate in reflection and coaching activities
- Use documentation to make learning visible to the children, parents, and larger community, and as the basis of your own reflection and professional growth
- Communicate an image of the child as curious, competent, and capable of building knowledge
- Communicate an image of the teacher as a careful listener, a co-researcher, and a responsible guide
- Create a classroom space that is accessible, provocative, responsive, and beautiful
- Collaborate and communicate effectively and happily with colleagues and with parents
- Model flexibility and a willingness to take risks and try again
- Demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and professional growth
- Demonstrate interest and ability to contribute beyond the classroom (to the school, the community, and the field)
Lead by example in your commitment to Nueva's mission
To Apply: ?Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to note the position title in the subject of your email.