Since 1994 REACH Prep has helped motivated and talented Black and Latino students from underserved communities in Fairfield and Westchester Counties and the Bronx gain admission to and thrive in competitive independent schools. Upon placement, students benefit from a twelve-year educational continuum, including comprehensive academic enrichment, leadership training, and supplementary individual and family guidance, which prepares them to succeed at competitive colleges. REACH Prep accepts a small cohort of students during their fourth grade year and supports them through graduation from college. REACH Prep is conveniently located within short walking distance of Stamford’s Metro North Station.
REACH Prep seeks a highly motivated, committed, organized, and enthusiastic individual for its Director of Placement and Prep Academy position. During the academic year, the Director works a Tuesday – Saturday schedule. This position will serve as a collaborative member of a small and dedicated team and reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
Start Date: May/June, 2017
Director of Placement
Independent school placement for the fifth graders and secondary placement for students in eighth and ninth grade.
- Prepare students for interviews, essays, and completion of applications
- Oversee standardized testing
- Assist parents with the financial aid process
- Write recommendations for each applicant
- Foster strong school partnerships
- Coordinate the admissions calendar to inform families of school fairs, deadlines, workshops, etc.
- Maintain placement statistics and records (including database)
- Serve on REACH Prep’s Admission Committee
- Represent REACH Prep as a member of the Fairchester Admissions Directors’ organization
Director of Prep Academy
Prep Academy is a fifteen-month enrichment program designed to prepare students for middle school admission to rigorous independent schools.
- Develop and lead an orientation program for all new REACH Prep students
- Recruit, train, hire, support and evaluate Prep Academy teachers
- Set high academic and personal standards for students and teachers
- Communicate often and effectively with students and parents to discuss academic issues and ensure student progress
- Cultivate strong relationship with Prep Academy host school
- Create and maintain records including curriculum binders, attendance logs, student assessments, disciplinary reports, and evaluations of students and teachers
- Passion for REACH Prep’s mission
- Undergraduate degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- 5+ years of classroom teaching experience in an academic institution. Relevant experience in educational access/college success field a plus
- Experience working with underserved students
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Superb writing and communication skills
- Ability to cultivate and maintain strong relationships with school administrators, parents and students
- A demonstrated interest in educational access and commitment to expanding opportunities for underserved youth
- Strong interpersonal skills and a proven record of working in environments and communities with people from diverse backgrounds (ethnic, socio-economic, educational)
- Availability to work Tuesday - Saturdays during the nine-month school schedule
- Exceptional organizational skills, high attention to detail, and ability to take initiative
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel and visit independent schools