MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 82 million customers annually, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is the busiest commuter railroad in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe commute, great service to its customers and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
This position is part of a resource group that provides financial analysis and reporting of Metro-North’s operating costs and revenues and supports the development of the annual Operating and/or Capital Budget and Forecasts that are integrated into Metro-North’s Financial Plan.
- Perform review of financial activity including the preparation of monthly analysis and commentary of budget vs. actual results, performing budget verification of purchase requisitions, headcount changes and new project requests.
- Develop recommendations or adjustments for inclusion in operating or capital forecasts, budget targets and financial plan updates; and evaluate operating budget submissions as compared to pre-approved financial targets, position levels and new program requests.
- Provide analysis and reporting of specific cost categories, revenue segments or functions such as: personnel control, non-passenger revenue, cash forecasting or cost allocations.
- Maintain, modify or create information system applications (PC and mainframe) that support financial reporting, forecasting or analytical efforts. Includes PeopleSoft, Hyperion, and internally developed budget systems, as well as complex spreadsheet (Excel) and database (Access) applications. Also requires the preparation/update of user procedures and the documentation of technical specifications.
- Structure and execute special analyses as required ensuring clarity and quality of produced information.
- Work independently in producing monthly reports, resolving financial systems and accounting problems, and researching project funding and scheduling issues.
- Become a back-up preparer in specified financial analysis and information system applications in addition to assigned information system work. Systems include, but are not limited to, financial plan and financial forecasting models, project tracking application and Operating Capital spreadsheet and reporting model.
- Assist other employees and work units in grasping and implementing the underlying processes, details, and financial systems used to produce financial reports, budgets and forecasts.
- Excellent quantitative and analytic skills in context of financial management applications.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels in the organization.
- Working knowledge of accounting principles, processes and concepts is required.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Access & Powerpoint).
- Working knowledge of mainframe and/or integrated financial systems
- Ability to work independently to recommendations to resolve problems through comprehensive analysis.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in Finance, Accounting or Economics or related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in budget preparation and financial analysis experience in a corporate environment.
- Master’s Degree in Finance.
To be selected for a position, an applicant must: (1) meet the minimum requirements in the job posting, (2) pass a written examination (if applicable), (3) satisfy a background investigation (which includes credit, if applicable), and (4) pass an oral interview, during which the interviewers will further evaluate the applicant's qualifications for the position. Because the selection process is competitive, not all qualified applicants are granted an interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing.
For applicants who are current employees, you must be in active service and have worked in your present position for at least one (1) year to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, plus on-the-job training, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.) in order to be eligible to transfer. If you are transferred, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present occupation. In addition, Metro-North employees are subjected to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation of their safety and discipline records and their performance assessments.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $91,821.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
If interested, please visit http://web.mta.info/mta/employment/ and Search for Senior Analyst II - Operating Budget under Metro-North Railroad.
*Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the application deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is an Equal Opportunity Employer.