NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Senior Environmental Health and Safety Specialist.
Under the direction of the Director of Environmental Health and Safety, the Senior Environmental Health and Safety Specialist will independently develop, implement and manage assigned health and safety programs, including projects and tasks that require an advanced understanding of regulatory and technical issues and advanced skills in problem solving and conflict resolution. This position will mentor less experienced environmental health and safety (EH&S) professionals, and provide support for health and safety programs managed by others within the department.
- Obtains pricing from vendors. Obtains authorization from supervisor before purchasing services or supplies. Approves and processes invoices.
- Maintains a good understanding of how to use air sampling equipment properly and effectively and how to interpret monitoring results. Before using equipment, verifies that it is in proper working condition. As assigned, manages asbestos, mold, and lead abatement projects. As assigned, prepares minutes for meetings.
- Conducts TJC mandated QA inspections for InterimLife Safety. Conducts TJC mandated Hazard Surveillance inspections. Conducts QA inspections for penetrations in smoke and fire barriers. Receives chemical waste at the main accumulation area. Verifies proper labeling, and maintains the waste log. Maintains employee injury/illness database. Assist with hazardous materials inventories. Provides training and fit-testing on N95 respirators.
- Responds promptly to real and perceived emergencies involving health and safety issues. Responds to and investigates fire alarms. Maintains HazWoper certification. Responds to and cleans up spills involving hazardous materials. Responds to and investigates concerns about indoor air quality.
- As assigned, coordinates hazardous materials inventories and reporting. As assigned, maintains computer databases.
- Interfaces with clients, contractors and consultants. Independently resolves complex problems and conflicts. Negotiates with and manages contractors and/or consultants engaged in routine and non-routine projects and tasks. Develops project specific specifications for challenging non-routine projects.
- Has an advanced understanding of technical issues. Conducts comprehensive risk assessments and worksite assessments for complex health and safety issues. Responsively coordinates and conducts inspections, investigations and audits. Has an advanced understanding of how to use sampling equipment properly and effectively and how to interpret monitoring results. Coordinates and conducts appropriate environmental and industrial hygiene monitoring. Recommends appropriate control measures based on the hierarchy of controls. Prepares and presents verbal and written reports.
- Understands and can explain the complexities of the federal, state and local regulations, standards, guidelines and interpretations. Promptly analyzes impact of changes and develops recommendations for addressing them. Develops and implements new health and safety programs. Keeps current with status of assigned programs within the Medical Center. Maintains familiarity with how other institutions manage similar programs and programmatic issues. Keeps current with the Medical Center Safety Policies. Independently develops new policies and procedures. Revises and updates policies and procedures for assigned programs as needed. Develops new training programs for any assigned health and safety topic. Independently revises and updates existing training materials. Coordinates and conducts training. Manages and maintains program records and incorporates relevant documents into departmental files.
- Must have a Master's Degree in occupational health and safety, fire safety, engineering or other applicable disciplines.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of regulatory requirements, interpretations, and technical issues for assigned programs.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and interpret regulations and guidelines, and to develop and implement health and safety programs.
- Ability to manage a heavy workload, to manage competing demands on time and resources, and to prioritize effectively.
- Ability to work independently without supervision and to manage multiple projects to completion.
- Superior organizational, written and verbal communication skills and fact finding skills.
- Ability to articulate needs, plans and actions.
- Ability to conduct meetings and make verbal presentations to Senior Administration.
- Ability to solve complex problems.
- Advanced conflict resolution skills.
- Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database computer programs.
- Advanced ability to understand and interpret data.
- Ability to wear and work in Level C personal protective equipment.
- Must be able to be on-call on a rotating basis to respond to off-hours emergency situations.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online. If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.