NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Medical Assistant within our NYULMC In House Temp Program.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for assisting physicians and nurses in providing patient care.
- Demonstrates skill in obtaining vital signs including blood pressure, pulse, temperature, respiratory rate, height and weight. Notifies clinical staff of any abnormalities. Records findings on appropriate medical record form.
- Maintains patient flow to and from exam/treatment area. Checks patient locator for patient arrival. Maintains patient status in patient locator by consistently updating time in and out of exam/treatment area. Checks waiting areas at frequent time intervals for patient's comfort level. Proactively informs patients and/or reception staff of delays in schedules. Enters waiting area and with all patients in view, calls patient by title, e.g., Mr., Miss, Dr., and name politely.
- Prepares patients for physical exams. Accompanies patient from waiting area to exam/treatment area. Assists in carrying patient's belongings into the exam/treatment area. Assists patients on to exam table/chair/bed and changing into gowns as indicated. Completes patient intake by reviewing and documenting on weekly visit form. Informs clinical staff of change in patient status based on visit form.
- Assists physician with procedures. Prepares patient for procedure. Gathers equipment in exam/treatment area. Prepares necessary paperwork/ requisitions for physician to complete. Collects and labels all specimens correctly. Enters all specimens into unit log book, then transports to appropriate site for hospital delivery. Implements correct procedure for cleaning and sterilization of equipment.
- Ensures medical record availability and completeness. Reconciles medical record delivery with daily patient appointment schedule. Informs HIM of missing charts prior to patient arrival. Checks record for completeness and inserts necessary forms into correct location of chart. Checks CCA for lab results and prints results as requested by clinical staff.
- Maintains supplies and cleanliness of patient space. Ensures exam rooms are stocked appropriately with linen and supplies. Utilizes Omnicell and charges for supplies accurately. Informs supervisor when supplies need to be reordered. Performs inspection of equipment and furniture, tags and removes any broken equipment and informs supervisor of noted defect. Ensures exam/treatment area is cleaned after patient leaves and prepared for the next patient. Empties soiled linen for pick up and restocks with clean linen supply.
- Assures completion of patient charge slips/encounter forms per policy. Demonstrates skill in entering charges into Invision system. Communicates with clinical staff to assure all daily charges are complete and accurate.
- Effectively communicates with patients and staff, in person and on the phone. Displays sensitivity to the needs of patients, visitors and coworkers. Remains calm and continues to communicate effectively in stressful situations. Answers telephone politely and identify self and area.
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify you must hold, upon hire or entry into the position, a current Medical Assistant Certification from an accredited institution.
Required Certification: Medical Assistant
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.