NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Research Technician.
In this role, the successful candidate will be a highly motivated, dynamic and innovative research technician. The successful applicant will be part of a team contributing to a comprehensive tissue biorepository for prostate cancer and mesothelioma and will be assisting with the procurement and subsequent processing of biospecimens (tissue, blood and urine), the preparation of derivatives (RNA, DNA, protein), construction of tissue microarrays (TMAs), plus all related job duties as assigned. The candidate will be required to be flexible, organized and self-motivated and will have the opportunity to interact with the outstanding clinical and basic research faculty at the NYU Langone Medical Center.
- Prompt and accurate processing of biospecimens; including the preparation of microscopic tissue slides for research purposes - embedding, cutting and staining both paraffin-embedded and frozen specimens.
- Interest in performing or learning to construct tissue microarrays (TMAs). TMA sectioning.
- Perform histochemical and immunohistochemical stains
- Processes biospecimen accessioning for research purposes, including all manual and computerized data-entry (Experience with excel is preferred).
- Perform duties related to physical archive, including organizing the slide and block (frozen and fixed) collections, and maintenance of LN2 tanks, freezers, alarms.
- Assist in the extraction of data from patients medical chart; enter clinicopathological data, biospecimen information and clinical follow-up information into respective databases.
- Assist in the generation spreadsheets of de-identified patient information for use in disease specific translational research studies.
- Team contributor to daily operations of both NYU Prostate Cancer Biorepository Network (PCBN) and the National Mesothelioma Virtual Bank (NMVB), including various administrative support for the resources, preparation of common stock solutions, ordering and organizing lab supplies and chemicals.
- To qualify you must have a B.S. in biological or related field, with an interest in medical sciences.
- Working knowledge desirable in surgical pathology/histology procedures
- Working knowledge of laboratory hazards and safety practices, methods used in preparing stains and reagents, histology laboratory equipment and procedures.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and maintain accurate laboratory records.
- Computer experience, including familiarity with databases.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Must be able to manage competing priorities with close attention to details.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills required.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.