About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Senior Research Technician for the Turbomachinery and Propulsion Laboratory is responsible for the laboratory operational aspects of propulsion research conducted by the faculty and graduate students. Included is consultation on the design of experiments, construction and operation of experimental rigs, assistance in conducting research, and safety and maintenance of the laboratory. Cooperation in the writing of plans and reports is expected.
- Experience in the installation, maintenance and operation of aircraft turbine engines.
- Basic machine shop skills such as operation of hand tools, drill press, lathe, and end mill.
- Ability to work with all types of structural materials in the building and maintenance of unique research rigs.
- Good communication skills and the ability to work with students and engineers to assist in the design and operation of experiments and experimental equipment, and to assist with research data collection and the preparation of research reports.
- Ability to work from engineering drawings in the construction of research apparatus and to work with research sponsors to achieve desired results.
- Additional study toward an Associate's degree in laboratory technologies.
- A current FAA A&P license.
- Specific experience with small turbofan engines P&W JT15D and Honeywell TFE331.
Employee Category: Hourly Wage Staff, limited to 1500 hrs/year
Appointment Type: Temp, non-salaried wage
Percent Employment: Part-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 02/06/2017