Senior Transportation Economist - Economist 4Transportation Development Division - Active Transportation SectionLocation: Salem, Oregon (telecommuting may be possible)
Salary: $6,056 - $8,496 per month
ODOT's Program Implementation and Analysis Unit has an exciting opportunity for a senior economist to plan, direct, and lead the Agency's economic analysis work which affects Oregon's transportation policy decisions as well as revenue forecasts and technical assumptions. This position offers a rare chance to conduct statewide-policy-level analysis and respond to inquiries from executive management, the Legislature, and others. The person in this position will have an opportunity to independently identify and conduct innovative economic work to enhance agency decision-making. This economist will serve as the lead worker for the Unit. The economist selected for this position will support the unit by:* Planning, assigning, and reviewing policy and technical analysis.
* Conducting economic analysis to support transportation policies and decisions.
* Communicating unit work products and speaking on behalf of ODOT.
* Serving as a statewide transportation economic advisor.
* Sustaining ODOT's ongoing economic and financial analysis functions.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
Additional Details:Application Due Date: This announcement will remain open until filled. Your immediate response is requested as this recruitment may close at any time without advance notice at the discretion of the agency, after a sufficient number of qualified candidates have applied. Screening will begin as early as 7:30 am on Thursday, February 2, 2017. Management Service: The successful candidate will become part of the state's management team. This position is not represented by a union (non-union).Commuting Options: For applicants not based in the Salem area, there are numerous options for commuting including carpool, subsidized carpools, and public transportation.Scheduling: This position offers the possibility of flexible scheduling and teleworking.
* Policy Analysis* Oversee and conduct original economic analysis to inform legislative discussions, policy issues, investment decisions, planning documents, or other strategic direction for the Agency.
* Technical Analysis* Review and support technical analysis done by other unit staff, including:* Revenue analysis and forecasts.
* Cost allocation studies.
* Fiscal impact statements.
* Benefit-cost analysis.
* Personally conduct analysis as needed.
* Lead Work* Serve as the lead worker for the Unit.
* Plan and direct other staff on work activities and products.
* Review staff work for completeness and accuracy.
* Communication* Relate highly technical information, verbally and in writing, in a way that non-technical audiences can understand.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Qualifications, Required & Requested Skills
Minimum Qualifications:A Master's degree* in economics or a related field and four years of experience doing economic research or econometric forecasting;ORA Ph.D.* in economics or a related field and one-year experience doing economic research.*Transcripts must be attached to qualify.Preferred Attributes - We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate one or more of the following:* Experience identifying economic analysis needs, selecting analysis methods, or creating work products.
* Experience leading or performing the economic analysis for complex policy issues.
* Experience working with internal and external customers on economic analysis needs and work products.
* Experience communicating orally and in writing to both technical and non-technical audiences.
* Strong interpersonal skills.
* Lead work experience.
Working Conditions:* Requires local travel for meetings and occasionally requires statewide travel or out-of-state travel.
* The person in this position must make presentations and represent ODOT to other state agencies, the Legislative Revenue Office, the Oregon Legislature, and at national meetings, seminars, workshops, and conferences
We appreciate your interest in this position and are eager to review your application materials. To apply, please submit a resume as described below and be sure to answer our supplemental questions. Note that we have disabled several sections of the electronic application.* Resume: In your resume, please clearly describe how you meet the qualifications for this position as listed above, including:* A list of verifiable employers.
* Dates of employment.
* Duties, particularly those that relate directly to this position.
* Your level of responsibility.
* Cover Letter: We do not request a cover letter. If you attach one, we will not review it.
* Caution: If you fail to follow these instructions, we will have to disqualify your application. We cannot consider incomplete or late applications.
Pre-employment Checks:We will conduct criminal background checks on final candidates who are not current ODOT employees. All applicants are subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS, and/or education verification as required for the position. Veteran's Points:Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be give veterans' preference. To receive preference, veterans must attach appropriate documentation as outlined by the Department of Administrative Services at the following website: Veterans Resources. Veterans may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at 1-800-692-9666. Questions and Application Support:* For questions about the job announcement, call Bethany at 503-986-7146.
* For technical help with your login or online application issues, call 1-855-524-5627 from 6:30a to 5:30p PST M-F by leaving a voicemail. It may take up to 24 hours to receive a response. If you do not receive a response after 24 hours, you can email Technical Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oregon Department of TransportationHuman Resources/Recruitment, MS12355 Capitol St NESalem OR 97301-3871Fax 503-986-3895 ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.