KENNETH YOUNG CENTER
POSITION DESCRIPTION & POSTING
PART-TIME NURSE CARE MANAGER
Scope: Nurse Care Manager functions as a primary practitioner, in collaboration with agency psychiatrists and medical secretary, client’s primary care and other specialty health providers, will monitor each members’ physical and psychiatric status and response to treatment utilizing a variety of different nursing services including: basic health screenings, on-going assessment, medication monitoring, and medication training services to assist individuals with mental illness to achieve rehabilitative, resilience and recovery goals. Provide physical health education and symptom management skills training to adult mentally ill clients receiving Recovery Services
Essential Functions: The work environment characteristics, responsibilities, and competencies described here are representative of those an employee encounters and is required to perform while meeting the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
I. Primary Responsibilities
A. Clinical Duties:
- Provide basic health screenings, monitor chronic health conditions, and communicate information to physicians
- Monitor members at their homes or in the community to assess health status and provide home health care, develop plans to meet needs, provide services according to nursing standards, and monitor clinical status and response to treatment.
- Assist with comprehensive assessment for individuals transitioning from nursing homes to community based independent living.
- Provide consultation to CST team regarding members’ medical issues. Serves as a resource for the CST team on general medical issues.
- Work closely with all consulting psychiatrists and medical doctors as assigned. This may include but is not limited to: medication administration, scheduling appointments and coordinating care as indicated by the member’s service plans.
- Perform medical examinations and evaluations, diagnoses, treatment, follow?up consultation and health education.
- Obtain patient histories and develops patient care treatment plans, ensuring completeness and accuracy.
- Work cooperatively with inpatient hospital staff, keeping logs and other records of all contacts as required by agency practice.
- Perform and participates in crisis intervention when necessary.
- Meet productivity target as established by supervisor
- Respond to clients seeking assistance with side effects, medication refills, or other medication questions between appointments
- Determine appropriateness of requests for medication refills and process refills
- Develop and lead/co-lead illness education skills training group
B. Administrative Medication Support Services
- Assess client eligibility and complete applications with clients for pharmaceutical assistance programs
- Receive, review, file lab reports and alert physicians to any abnormal findings that need to be addressed
- Complete all clinical documentation and required reports in an accurate and timely manner
- Receive input from the Manager or Supervisor and provide feedback regarding administrative issues
- Interpret and communicate, at the service delivery level, Center policies and procedures
- Participate in orientations and training programs of the Center
II. General Competencies
- Promote positive image of KYC with all contacts (customers)
- Exhibit high quality work
- Be a productive member of the staff
- Demonstrate cooperation
- Take the initiative to act on own
- Use excellent judgment
- Communicate clearly
- Make use of supervision
- Contribute to development of a culture of care
III. Core Competencies
- Ability to perform basic health screenings and efficiently communicate information to medical staff
- Organizational and computer entry skills
- Effective engagement and motivational interviewing skills
- Effective client oriented communication style and skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team coordinating care for clients
- Demonstrated ability to function independently
IV. Special Competencies
- Demonstrate understanding of chronic illnesses frequently experienced by those diagnosed with severe mental illness
- Demonstrate knowledge of behavioral assessment and treatment planning
- Demonstrate of specialized treatment needs of the populations served and the rehabilitative/recovery service approaches and interventions used to address these needs
- Ability to educate individuals with cognitive impairments on elements of healthy living (e.g. diet, exercise, wound care, etc.)
V. Work Environment
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting.
VI. Physical Demands
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls, and to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk and hear.
- The employee is required to travel by automobile to and from Schaumburg, Mt. Prospect and Elk Grove Township office locations as much as several times monthly as well as occasional meetings/trainings in and around KYC’s catchment area.
- While conducting external KYC business or traveling between sites, the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles as well as changing weather and road conditions.
VIII. Position Requirements
- RN with current Illinois license
- BSN degree preferred; AAS degree with mental health or clinic experience acceptable
- One year nursing experience in mental health setting
- Current and valid driver’s license required.
- Daily access to a personal vehicle is required.
IX. Chain of Authority
- Reports to Supervisor of Community Support Services
- Part-Time, Hourly - Work up to 20 hours per week
- Flexible schedule to accommodate client needs
- Time Keeping – Accurately record hours worked in the electronic timekeeping system (on a daily basis when possible) in accordance with the timekeeping policy and practice.
Kenneth Young Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.