Agency and position description: The Illinois Coalition for Immigrant & Refugee Rights (ICIRR) is a coalition of more than 130 member organizations that works through its membership (community organizations, labor unions, religious institutions, social service agencies, ethnic associations, etc.) to build power and advance a pro-immigrant platform at local, state, and national levels. ICIRR’s mission is to promote the full and equal participation of immigrants and refugees in the political, civic and economic life of our diverse society. ICIRR provides our members with organizing and advocacy strategy, training and technical assistance on issues that affect their respective immigrant constituents, and up-to-date information and policy analysis on immigrant- and refugee-related issues. ICIRR ensures the effectiveness of our member organizations by providing ongoing leadership development opportunities, promoting citizenship and civic participation, monitoring and analyzing immigrant-related laws and policies, forming cross ethnic alliances, and informing the general public about the positive contributions of newcomers to Illinois and the U.S
ICIRR is seeking a creative and enterprising individual for the role of Volunteer Coordinator to establish a formal volunteer program that recruits, trains, deploys, and stewards volunteers across ICIRR’s work from application assistance at citizenship workshops, to voter registration at oath ceremonies, to answering phones for the hotline.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Organizing, the Volunteer Coordinator will establish and maintain a coordinated volunteer program that recruits and assists in the training of volunteers across ICIRR’s programs and for ICIRR’s member organizations. The Volunteer Coordinator will develop systems to track and steward volunteers, to ensure that volunteers are appropriately matched with their skills, and satisfied and recognized with and for their contributions. The Volunteer Coordinator will work inside of ICIRR’s organizing strategy to proactively recruit volunteers in key geographical areas and ethnic communities to build capacity and leadership across the continuum of ICIRR’s work.
- Help develop and maintain a volunteer data base
- Helps to develop job descriptions for volunteers
- Recruitment of volunteers
- Build relationships with local universities, faith institutions, member organizations, and other organizations as a recruiting source for volunteers
- Develop other recruitment sources for volunteers, including churches, postings and community organizations
- Interview and register volunteers
- Schedule, coordinate and deploy volunteers
- Orient and train volunteers
- Develop and implement a volunteer recognition program
- Work with ICIRR staff and members to assess and prioritize volunteer recruitment
- Work with the Senior Director of Organizing to connect the volunteer program to the Leadership Institute training
- With the Senior Director of Organizing and development staff contribute to grant reporting and fundraising efforts.
- Other duties as assigned