The Better Government Association (BGA) seeks a full-time Development Associate to support and assist with the development activities and board relations at the Better Government Association. The Development Associate will work closely with the President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Director of Development & External Relations and the BGA Board of Directors to support organizational operations, development efforts and board relations.
The BGA is a nonprofit and nonpartisan watchdog organization that combines investigative journalism, advocacy, and civic engagement to promote good government at the local, county, and state levels in Illinois.
- Provide administrative support to the Board of Directors and each Board Committee.
- Function as the staff liaison and primary contact person for Board Members and associated committees.
- Schedule and plan for Board and Board Committee meetings.
- Prepare and distribute meeting invitations, correspondence and agenda materials for each meeting.
- Attend board and committee meeting and record minutes.
- Create, distribute and maintain board booklets.
- Establish working relationship with the Board of Directors President and committee chairs in verbal, written, and electronic correspondence
- Maintain and update lists of board and committees, including website updates
- Mail, track, and follow up on the annual conflict of interest disclosure and annual pledge sheets
- Responsible for day-to-day administration of Raiser’s Edge (RE) donor database. Support all development initiatives; pull lists, run queries, update/create fields and import/export data for mail merge and other functions.
- Responsible for the management and integrity of the RE data by establishing systems to ensure accurate gift processing, record keeping, and stewardship.
- Assist with the development and implementation of the Strategic Development Plan including annual appeals, major donors, grants, corporate and individual appeals, and special events.
- Coordinate and prioritize day-to-day gift processing activities and ensures accurate processing and stewardship of gifts.
- Supervise the accurate processing of checks, credit cards, and electronic funds transfers for unrestricted and restricted gifts.
- Work with Administration and Accounting to manage accurate processing of checks, credit cards and electronic funds transfers.
- Supervise part-time Development Assistant and interns when appropriate.
- Coordinate sponsors, tickets and seating for three major BGA annual events.
- Serve as liaison with third party companies including but not limited to venues, event planning companies, and hotel event staff.
- Coordinate and manage volunteers who are assisting with the event to ensure they have a schedule and training on area of responsibility.
- Assist with preparing budgets and provide periodic progress reports to staff directors for each event.
- Keep track of event finances including check requests, invoicing, and reporting.
- Manage digital elements of the program, while coordinating with designer.
- Order supplies and audiovisual equipment, make travel arrangements, order event signs, prepare name badges, and ensure appropriate requirements meet the quality expectations of the event.
- Offer administrative support by answering phones, screening calls and email; managing calendars; making travel arrangements, scheduling meetings; preparing reports and financial data; managing office supplies needs and keeping office tidy.