| The Prevention Policy Modeling Lab, based in the Department of Global Health and Population at the Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health aims to model health impact, costs and cost-effectiveness of infectious disease treatment and prevention programs. Our work uses US data and involves close collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.|
We are seeking a Data Analyst/Programmer to contribute to the development of simulation models, data visualizations and user-friendly tools to guide evidence-based health policy decision-making. S/He will work as part of a team of modelers and programmers to code modules of simulation models in R. S/He will be responsible for producing graphics of model calibration and outputs using R for use in meetings, publications, and presentations, as well as other data visualizations as needed. S/He will also contribute to the development of user-friendly, web or excel based interfaces to be used by jurisdictions across the US to make local public health decisions. This position will work with researchers from all work groups, contributing to projects related to Tuberculosis, Hepatitis C, HIV, sexually transmitted infections and school health. The ideal candidate will have advanced skills and confidence in R and must be familiar with relevant R packages.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Programming Model Code in R (40%):
- Work as part of a programming team to code simulation models in R.
- Independently code modules within large simulation models and describe methods used to team members.
- Aid in optimization, testing and debugging of model code as needed.
Data Visualization (40%):
- Produce graphics of model calibration and outputs using R and R packages for use in team meetings, publications and presentations.
- Work closely with researchers from all work groups to develop effective data visualizations as needed.
- Ensure accuracy of all data presented.
Development of Web-Based Interfaces (15%):
- Work closely with modelers and programmers to translate models (written in R, MatLab or C++) into user-friendly applications. The applications will vary in format, but will likely be web-based or excel-based.
- Communicate with CDC collaborators to define needs and expectations of the web-based applications and to ensure that expectations are met.
- Write documentation that describes installation and operating procedures of all interfaces developed. Monitor and enhance performance of programs after implementation.
Data Analysis (5%):
- Aggregate data and aid in data cleaning and management.
- Conduct analyses of large data sets in R, Stata, SAS or similar statistical software.
Application Instructions: Please upload an example of previous data visualization work, in addition to your cover letter and resume (cover letter and resume as one document). Applications submitted without work samples will not be considered.
PLEASE NOTE: This is a grant-funded position through 9/30/2017, with possibility for extension.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join Harvard Chan School to support our mission of health research & education and be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!
Salary Grade: 056
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary