General DescriptionWork with central IT to design, write, and run database queries and reports to support Johns Hopkins University (JHU) federally mandated Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) reporting to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (USDHS). Work with JHU divisions/units to identify and provide solutions to potential compliance problems to ensure data integrity and consistency. Propose, research, pilot, document, and implement technical process improvements. Partner with JHU Information Technology (IT) to expand or adapt functionality to better meet Office of International Services (OIS) operational and data needs. Use various query and reporting tools to identify international students and scholars who meet specific criteria and disseminate targeted email communications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Database queries and reports:
- Prepare and provide data for periodic reports (OIS Annual Reports, enrollment reports, Open Doors, J-1 Annual Report, etc.).
- Develop and modify queries to be used by OIS and University staff.
- Respond to University or U.S. Government requests for data validation.
- Initiate regular OIS targeted electronic communications with international students and scholars, and University divisions based on specified queries or updates pertaining to SEVIS.
- Coordinate continual updates and maintenance of standard SEVIS-related email texts.
- Develop and deliver SEVIS presentations to clientele in public forums.
- Provide information and recommendations to OIS staff.
- Coordinate with all divisions and units, including undergraduate and graduate international admissions, enrollment services, registrar, and other units to implement international program data management policies and procedures required by USDHS.
- Serve on OIS and campus-wide technical and business process committees.
- Develop and maintain standard protocols in working with confidential documents and sensitive data.
- Serve as back-up for maintenance and updates of OIS website and calendar of events.
- Attend conferences and give conference presentations when needed.
- Provide SEVIS-related database maintenance and data clean-up services as needed (duplicate records, data inconsistencies, archiving, etc.).
- Perform system audits to ensure the integrity and consistency of data in iHopkins and campus databases with SEVIS data in the government's SEVIS system, and initiate correction of iHopkins and campus database information that is inconsistent with SEVIS data.
- Work with IT to regularly analyze institutional queries, internal databases, and related processes for efficiency and accuracy.
- Work with IT to solve database and datalink technical problems efficiently as they arise; identify and resolve users' problems.
- Resolve problems associated with bar-coding and imaging.
- Respond to and resolve technical or institutional access problems related to business processes, or request and coordinate outside help when needed.
Database and Electronic Business Services Production & Development:
- Fully develop and maintain SEVIS batch capability for all OIS units and all JHU F-1 and J-1 SEVIS programs.
- Serve as primary back-up to iHopkins Database Coordinator and work in conjunction to develop of eForms and electronic business processes.
- Identify and research areas for technical improvements to OIS processes and suggest potential changes or enhancements. Determine whether the desired functionality is available, and if not, gather and analyze internal business requirements and work with IT to develop, document, test, and implement technical solutions to improve production or work flow.
- Monitor effectiveness of new processes, propose and implement changes as appropriate, and expand as needed to serve new purposes.
- Provide recommendations for continuous improvements in data collection and maintenance, and for improvement of data integrity. Participate in activities and groups related to database and system improvements.
- Provide consultation on web-based database application development projects for iHopkins.
- Work with IT to provide automated solutions for client letter generation, regular electronic notifications to clients, and electronic document storage.
- Train OIS staff in use of advisor-related SEVIS and iHopkins functions.
- Provide training and on-going productions support including documentation to be used for training and on-going reference.
- Maintain campus-wide SEVIS business process documentation and update as needed due to updates in SEVIS and other database systems.
- Act as a Designated School Official (DSO) and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO).
- Monitor international student and scholar compliance with government regulations.
- Remain current with SEVIS-related and regulatory updates pertaining to international students and scholars to ensure institutional compliance.
- Audit and monitor international student and scholar compliance with JHU and federal health insurance requirements.
- Monitor daily batch files for errors and resolve or route to appropriate person for resolution.
- Monitor and assist in maintaining DSO and ARO lists for all JHU F-1 and J-1 SEVIS programs.
- Work with Assistant Provost and Director to consolidate SEVIS programs where possible.
- Advise international students and scholars to the extent necessary to make recommendations for revision of existing or creation of new OIS electronic business processes.
- Coordinate SEVIS check-in for all new students.
- Coordinate batch SEVIS registration process for all JHU students.
- Act as University lead on all topics related to SEVIS II implementation.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Provost.