The John Bulow Campbell Library of Columbia Theological Seminary, Decatur, Georgia, is seeking an experienced Processing Archivist.
The Processing Archivist, under the direction of the Director of the Library, is responsible for processing seminary records, archival and manuscript collections, and deposit materials through appraisal, arrangement, description, and creation of finding aids and exhibits. The Processing Archivist cooperates with the rest of the library staff to ensure quality services to library users in ways consistent with JBC Library policies and procedures.
The successful candidate will have experience with manuscript collection processing of organizational and/or personal papers, demonstrated understanding of archival description and materials, work experience with project management, familiarity with archival standards (EAD, METS, MARC, MODS), and strong communication skills.
- Ensure that archives collections are arranged, described, preserved, and made available for use according to current archives standards.
- Guide the development of the seminary’s archives and congregational/presbytery records management programs:
- Recommend and implement policies and procedures for public use of the archives
- Recommend and implement policies and procedures for accessioning, describing, and preserving archives materials, including electronic records
- Promote review and clarification of the archives collecting policies
- Participate in updating and implementing the seminary’s records management policies as it relates to the archives
- Implement preservation activities, including digitization, as necessary.
- When archival gifts arrive, assist with the addition to Special Collections.
- Create physical and virtual exhibits using archival materials.
- Promote positive public relations regarding the collections with all of the library’s patrons and the Seminary’s constituencies.
- Other duties as requested.
- Help staff the 3West reading room of the library when researchers are in residence.
- Assess future collecting directions, with special attention to the subject areas covered by the collections acquired from the Presbyterian Historical Society - Montreat.
- Term: Four-year renewable