| || |
San Diego State University is the oldest and largest higher education institution in the San Diego region. Since its founding in 1897, SDSU has grown to offer bachelor's degrees in 91 areas, master's degrees in 78 areas and doctorates in 22 areas. SDSU's approximately 35,000 students participate in an academic curriculum distinguished by direct contact with faculty and an increasing international emphasis that prepares them for a global future.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including in terms of race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all.
SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
| || |
| || |
Full-time, permanent (probationary) position.
Facilities Maintenance Mechanic, Residence Hall – Under general supervision, incumbent performs a variety of skilled preventive and general maintenance, repair, construction, and renovation work on facilities and systems. Incumbent tests and performs corrective and preventive maintenance on building elements and fixtures, electrical and mechanical equipment and systems, including HVAC and plumbing systems; performs electrical maintenance and repair work including work on low voltage control systems.
Objectives – Properly installed, maintained and repaired Residence Hall facilities, fixtures, equipment and systems, (including plumbing equipment and systems and HVAC equipment and systems).
Expectations - Properly functioning equipment and a safe and clean working environment. Thorough and accurate accounting of time and materials. Completion of routine work assignments and performance of additional duties as assigned. Consistent meeting of university needs in a timely and professional manner with increasingly improved skill. Follow-up on every project or task to insure that all items are completed to the satisfaction of the supervisor/manager. A responsible attendance record, punctuality and consistent meeting of deadlines. Performance of work in a manner that supports and facilitates the work of others in Facilities Services and the university community. A positive and cooperative working relationship with members of department and campus community.
| || |
Compensation and Benefits
| || |
Anticipated Hiring Salary Range: $5,354 - $5,635 per month (CSU Classification Salary Range: $4,807 - $6,142 per month). The competitive salary is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
| || |
| || |
- Emergency building service work – Responds to trouble calls and minor work requests: Troubleshoots and repairs interior light fixtures, exterior lights and lighting systems, emergency lighting, fire, alarm and access systems; motors; controls; clocks; etc.Troubleshoots and repairs or adjusts air flow, temperature, humidity balances; repairs leaks in distribution systems (steam, natural gas, water, etc.).Troubleshoots and repairs dripping faucets, clogged toilets/urinals, malfunctioning flush valves, water heaters, gas and water laboratory fixtures, etc.
- Building service maintenance and repair work – Troubleshoots, repairs or replaces existing windows, doors, walls, ceilings, floor tiles and base; installs room fixtures (whiteboards, chalkboards, screens, monitors, etc.); builds concrete molds and forms. Repairs damaged walls and finishes, prepares existing surfaces for painting and applies finishes in residential halls, restroom facilities, common areas, etc.Troubleshoots, repairs or replaces interior and exterior lighting systems; electrical distribution systems; electrical apparatuses and equipment (transformers, main switchgear, distribution panels, motor control centers, relays, lighting, heating and ventilation controls); master clock systems.Troubleshoots, repairs or replaces existing plumbing equipment and systems. Troubleshoots, repairs or replaces mechanical system components and equipment, changing filters, v-belts, greasing bearings, etc.; services cooling towers, air conditioning and plumbing systems, water softeners, pumps, motors, and associated equipment. Under journey-level direction assists in more complex HVAC equipment/system maintenance, repairs or replacements.
- Performs journey-level work – Performs journey level plumbing work including the installation, maintenance, inspection, modification, remodel and repair of mechanical plumbing equipment and fixtures for water, gas, oil, steam, sewage, fire sprinkler/prevention, and refrigeration-related plumbing systems, including automated plumbing systems. Work includes the installation of plumbing fixtures and piping in new construction and remodel projects and the maintenance and repair of existing plumbing fixtures and piping including restroom and residential hall fixtures, fire sprinkler systems, and associated piping. Incumbent repairs existing and installs new appliances (water heaters, garbage disposals, kitchen ranges, drinking fountains, dish washers, washing machines, forced air furnaces, etc.).
- Work coordination and accountability – Provides instruction and direction to unskilled and semi-skilled assistants; interprets plans and drawings; prepares working sketches; calculates shop estimates, estimates material costs; obtains phone quotations and prepares requisitions for ordering material, takes inventory of bench stock material and re-orders when necessary. Maintains records and retrieves data related to work performed using manual/computerized record-keeping systems; prepares standard reports; consults and works with other trades workers.
- Maintenance and operation of shop – Maintains and services tools and equipment used in the performance of duties; performs shop clean-up and maintains a safe and clean work area.
- General support - Assists custodial services, grounds, trades and mechanical services staff in the accomplishment of their work (projects, events, on-going programs), and performs other tasks as assigned by the manager in support of the university and Housing Facilities Services.