Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelors, masters and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running. The university provides outstanding opportunities for staff in advancement, professional growth, and Christian ministry. APU seeks staff who model excellence in their discipline and have a clear and compelling understanding of their faith and Christian commitment.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
The University Catering temporary pool exists to provide additional support in coordinating the planning and implementation of both on and off campus events, such as banquets, receptions, luncheons, dinners, fundraisers etc. on an as-needed basis. The schedule and assignment length may vary, and individuals may be asked to work on short notice.
- High School graduate.
- A.A. degree preferred.
- One to two years of event planning, university setting desirable.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Assists Catering Coordinator and Catering Manager with planning and organizing, actual set-up, service and break down of events.
- Assists with promoting department during interaction with all clients.
- Is able to answer questions and sets an example of good customer service while dealing with all clients.
- Assists in the training and supervision of student workers.
- Attends weekly catering meetings.
- Assists in scheduling student workers.
- Helps control inventory.
- Has working knowledge of how and where equipment and product are used and stored.
- Assists in keeping areas stocked and cleaned.
- Responsible to assign weekly tasks to student workers, including restocking and organizing catering storage areas, cleaning and minor maintenance of equipment, etc.
- Assists in caring for everyday or seasonal catering equipment.
- Reports damaged equipment or items to Supervisor for replacement.
- Shows care when using University equipment and instructs students to do the same.
- Assists in the overall look of any event.
- Has working knowledge to be able to access what is appropriate for each event and room set-up.
- Able to assist the Catering Manager with special decorations, props or flowers when needed.
- Responsible for setting up events at different catering sites, which includes transporting equipment and product in the Banquet catering van.
- Orders linens and paper goods for all catered events.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Assists in helping to update policies and procedures for department.
- Responsible for daily electronic timekeeping as it applies to the scope of this position.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Regular, punctual attendance as required by the supervisor based on department needs.
- Maintains compliance with APU mission, vision, positional statements and other policies and procedures.
- Word processing skills.
- Attention to detail with strong organizational skills.
- Good public relations skills.
- Ability to supervise and instruct other workers.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively to the public, students, faculty and staff.
- Organized and able to meet deadlines.
- Able to conceptualize an idea and follow it through to completion.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Standing for several hours at a time.
- Repetitive arm, hand, wrist/finger motions.
- Ability to lift, grasp, pull, and bend.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to drive catering van, load and unload equipment and product to different sites.
- Reading and judgment of eye-appeal for quality control of event set up, including food presentation.
- Pleasant, well equipped kitchen and catering areas.
- Catering Equipment
- Proficient in the use of Google Apps., Microsoft Office, Word, and Excel.
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.