| A dynamic hub of the Cornell University campus and a recognized leader in collegiate retailing innovation, the Cornell Store serves students, faculty, staff, alumni and visitors through its 22,000 sq. ft. main store, online store, and satellite locations, producing $25 million in annual sales and consistently achieving outstanding operational benchmarks. The Store strives to deliver legendary customer service, provide a rewarding work experience, and produce excellent financial results.|
The Cornell Store's Main Campus store, centrally located on Cornell's Ithaca campus, offers a variety of products and services to support the Cornell community including textbooks and course materials; Cornell-branded clothing and gifts; computer hardware and software; and many services that make living on campus more convenient.
Tech Connect consists of a technology store within the main store, providing demonstrations of a wide variety of computers and tablets, and other hardware and accessories. The role involves assisting customers in-person and by phone while they consider options for significant purchases.
The Retail Supervisor will support Tech Connect at the Cornell Store by driving store metrics, developing promotions and achieving stated sales objectives. Overall responsibilities of this position include:
- Merchandising the sales floor, setting up seasonal promotions, visual displays, and monitoring merchandise areas for restocking and sales opportunities.
- Providing and demonstrating excellent customer service, monitoring store wide customer service standards, and training and coaching staff and student employees on effective sales and service behaviors; assist in the delivery of annual performance dialogues as needed
- Assist with the hiring, scheduling, and general supervision of student employees and departmental sales floor support staff
- Operating cash registers, processing customer check-outs and cash handling
- Working closely with the general merchandise buying team on product development and identifying sales growth opportunities
- Assisting with the oversight and approval of all Cornell Store insignia merchandise developed for the store
- Providing visitor services information for guests of the Cornell Store
- Monitoring general store conditions; including facility maintenance, product and supply organization
- Processing of incoming merchandise, shipping/receiving of merchandise to other store locations, general inventory planning, and assisting with the processing of special orders for both in-store and departmental customers
- Maintaining compliance with safe food handling regulations.
This position operates very independently and is expected to multi-task, handle conflict and work effectively with a variety of customers, visitors, clients and staff. The Store Supervisor functions as a liaison between the Cornell Store and the centralized merchandising and marketing units. Under the direction of the Store Manager, the Store Supervisor may occasionally provide support and oversight to other departments and specialty shops within the Main Store, and assist in supporting The Cornell Store's multiple branch locations as needed. Specific areas of responsibility may include the following product categories: Cornell insignia apparel and gifts, school and office supplies, technology products, sidelines and convenience items. The Store Supervisor is expected to lead by example, working extensively on the sales floor with employees and customers. The Store Supervisor must have general knowledge of all merchandise and services offered to provide an excellent overall experience for guests.
The Retail Supervisor for Tech Connect at the Cornell store will be required to obtain, and maintain, any necessary certifications related to the sales and service of applicable technology and equipment.
Associate's degree or technical training and 2-3 years of experience in a retail or customer service environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Excellent oral and written communication skills, and ability to demonstrate strong customer service, merchandising, promotional, and visual display skills required. Ability to multi task, handle conflict, and work effectively with a variety of customers, visitors, and clients is essential. Moderate experience with Microsoft Office software (especially MS Excel) and previous experience with retail inventory management systems including POS software is critical. Individual must have excellent computational and analytical skills. Position requires the ability to climb ladders and lift and/or move 25-50 pounds.
Advanced degree in business management or related field, or additional work experience in a retail field or managerial capacity is strongly preferred. Advanced experience using and leveraging inventory management tools, retail POS systems, and/or financial reporting tools is highly desirable. Demonstrated experience training and coaching effective sales and service behaviors is also preferred.
University Job Title:Sales Asst IV
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Contact Name:Dana Burton
Number of Openings:1
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.2017-01-18-08:00