The School: Founded in 1911, Columbus Academy is a PreK-12 coeducational college preparatory day school of over 1,070 students located on a 231-acre campus ten miles from downtown Columbus, Ohio. Student programs are organized into three divisions: Lower School (PreK-Grade 4), Middle School (Grades 5-8) and Upper School (Grades 9-12). The school offers a rigorous academic program as part of its mission to educate the whole child – mind, body and character. Columbus Academy faculty and staff members are expected to be continuous learners in their fields, to engage in caring and cooperative partnerships with colleagues and parents, to have a demonstrated commitment to the values of equity and inclusion, and to help each student reach his or her full potential.
The Position: Columbus Academy seeks a full-time Upper School (Grades 9-12) Computer Science Teacher with responsibilities to begin August 2017.
Position Expectations: The individual selected to this position will be expected to carry out the following responsibilities:
- Teach five sections, which meet regularly but not necessarily daily
- Exhibit flexibility to teach science or math courses as needed based on course requests
- Work collaboratively with other computer science, math and science faculty
- Assume a share of supervisory responsibilities expected of all upper school faculty members
- Collaborate with departmental colleagues on curriculum design and development
- Model a commitment to reflective practice, self-improvement and life-long learning
- Provide periodic updates to parents about student progress, via both written reports and in-person conferences
- Incorporate technological resources effectively using computers and iPads in classroom activities and organizing courses within the school’s on-line learning management site
- Hold students accountable for the school’s standards of behavior
- Work with other members in the school community to support each student’s emotional well-being
Physical Conditions: Candidates must be able to manage the following conditions:
- Classroom environment
- Mobility around school buildings and on different floors (handicap accessible)
- Repetitive motion (use of a computer keyboard)
- Periodic need to move light furniture, hang visuals in classroom, carry objects (no more than 40 pounds), etc.
- A non-smoking environment
Legal Requirements: All Columbus Academy employees must pass required criminal records checks. Where appropriate, individuals will also be required to provide proof of academic credentials.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume and supporting materials to: Head of School, Columbus Academy, 4300 Cherry Bottom Road, Gahanna, OH 43230, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Columbus Academy believes strongly in the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. We seek to identify and hire a greater number of faculty of color to serve as role models for all students. We strive to foster a diverse campus community, which recognizes the value of all persons regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability or socioeconomic background.