The School: Founded in 1911, Columbus Academy is a PreK-12 coeducational college preparatory day school of over 1,070 students located on a 231-acre campus ten miles from downtown Columbus, Ohio. Student programs are organized into three divisions: Lower School (PreK-Grade 4), Middle School (Grades 5-8) and Upper School (Grades 9-12). The school offers a rigorous academic program as part of its mission to educate the whole child – mind, body and character. Columbus Academy faculty and staff members are expected to be continuous learners in their fields, to engage in caring and cooperative partnerships with colleagues and parents, to have a demonstrated commitment to the values of equity and inclusion, and to help each student reach his or her full potential.
The Position: Columbus Academy seeks a full-time Reading/Literacy Specialist to support students in grades 9-12, to begin August 2017.
Position Expectations: The individual selected to this position will be expected to carry out the following responsibilities:
- Provide supportive instruction to students in both individual and small group settings
- Design individualized daily lesson plans driven by course content
- Develop and implement instructional strategies to improve academic literacy
- Set individual student goals based on student assessment, classroom performance and formal evaluation
- Perform executive function analysis and instruction
- Foster literacy acquisition and development through a variety of strategies
- Perform educational needs assessment
- Assist with academic planning and educational organization
- Provide expertise in developing strategies with faculty to implement in the classroom to support student learning
- Encourage, over time, academic independence and student self-advocacy
- Partner with other support service providers to deliver a unified literacy support program
- Use available technology to enhance the students’ learning experience
- Maintain effective record keeping procedures (student narratives, comments, written goals)
- Communicate with teachers and parents regarding student progress.
- Work collaboratively and build relationships with students and faculty of various departments
- Attend and participate in weekly faculty meetings
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous professional growth
- Assume a share of supervisory responsibilities expected of all upper school faculty members
- Hold students accountable for the school’s standards of behavior
- Work with others in the school community to support each student’s emotional well-being
Physical Conditions: Candidates must be able to manage the following conditions:
- Classroom environment
- Mobility around school buildings and on different floors (handicap accessible)
- Repetitive motion (use of a computer keyboard)
- Periodic need to move light furniture, hang visuals in classroom, carry objects (no more than 40 pounds), etc.
- A non-smoking environment
Legal Requirements: All Columbus Academy employees must pass required criminal records checks. Where appropriate, individuals will also be required to provide proof of academic credentials.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume and supporting materials to: Head of School, Columbus Academy, 4300 Cherry Bottom Road, Gahanna, OH 43230, or email@example.com.
Columbus Academy believes strongly in the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. We seek to identify and hire a greater number of faculty of color to serve as role models for all students. We strive to foster a diverse campus community, which recognizes the value of all persons regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability or socio-economic background.