Germantown Academy, located in Fort Washington, Pennsylvania, is seeking qualified, experienced candidates for the position of Lower School Librarian, beginning August, 2017. This is a 10-month position which offers an excellent array of benefits and a highly competitive salary. The Academy, founded in 1759, is a non-sectarian, coeducational, college preparatory school of more than 1,100 students in Grades PK-12, located in the northwest suburbs of Philadelphia on a campus of 126 acres. At Germantown Academy, we are committed to creating a learning environment that is as diverse as the broader, global world of which we are a part. We value this diversity because it makes us a stronger community, enriches our thinking and helps us to develop our collaborative spirit. Please find the job description below.
The Lower School Librarian works with Lower School library staff, teachers, and families to create an inviting, energizing, and inspiring environment for lifelong learning. This position is an opportunity to create and implement a renewed vision of the library as a community space that meets the evolving and diverse needs of all library stakeholders with regard to culture, programming, and space planning. A strong candidate should be a teacher-librarian who is able to build and execute Pre-K through 5th grade information and reading literacy curriculum, a reader who is passionate about sharing children’s literature in a variety of formats, and a motivated self-starter with successful experience working collaboratively with faculty and parents. We are seeking a professional who is knowledgeable of emerging trends in lower school literacy education, the administration of libraries, technology, and an organized multitasker who is excited to work on short and long-term projects in every area of librarianship.
- Supervise and maintain all ongoing and daily functions of the Lower School Library, including overseeing the Lower School Library budget and maintaining accurate, current records of all budgetary transactions.
- Work collaboratively with teachers and MS/US librarians to develop and execute a scaffolded information literacy and digital citizenship curriculum through weekly library classes and project-based work throughout the Lower School curriculum.
- Cultivate a community environment in which students, classes, faculty, and other stakeholders access and use the library space and its resources to their full potential.
- Curate, catalog, and promote a robust, diverse, and current fiction and nonfiction collection utilizing the Alexandria system, as well as online subject resources appropriate for the Lower School community.
- Support the leadership and development of the Lower School literacy curriculum, including independent book selection and direction, supporting and creating leveled classroom libraries using the Fountas and Pinnell system, and overall program literacy goals.
- Foster an atmosphere of academic and developmental growth through reading, storytelling, in-class activities, vibrant and rotating displays, and Lower School events.
- Evaluate and integrate existing and emerging technologies to support teaching and learning in collaboration with Lower School edtech coordinators and technology staff.
- Candidates must have a Masters of Library Science from an A.L.A. accredited program
- 3 years experience working in a lower school library, or equivalent significant work experience as a professional librarian within a school setting preferred
- Experience with library administration, staff supervision, and budgeting is preferred.
Candidates who meet these criteria should send a cover letter, resume, and a list of at least three current references to:
Ms. Rachel Elwood
Human Resources Director
340 Morris Road
PO Box 287
Fort Washington, PA 19034