General DescriptionThe Program Manager provides administrative and scientific leadership to the collaborative group with the aim of optimizing scientific and clinical outcomes, reducing the administrative burden on lead investigators, and leveraging the program's resources and momentum to facilitate new project development, fundraising, scientific training, and activities that strengthen the University and scientific communities. The Senior Program Manager will assist the Principal Investigator to manage the overall project and oversee the progress of all sub-projects, and to serve as an liaison to the funding agency
Roles and responsibilities:
- Coordinate Program efforts and ensure effective, timely communication among sub-groups. Manage regular and group discussions with project Investigators and research personnel, participating in discussions as appropriate to provide strategic input and guidance.
- Provide 'front door' face for inquiries, concerns, and idea-sharing for all Program Investigators and personnel.
- Build a productive and collegial Program culture.
- Establish and maintain secure Program intranet for internal communications and data sharing, as appropriate.
- Collaborate with administrative, IT, HR, finance, and departmental management colleagues to ensure smooth Program operations.
- Anticipate potential conflict within the collaboration. Diffuse potential conflict where possible, facilitating discussion to identify common ground. Mediate resolutions as necessary.
- Develop, manage, and oversee communication of Program identity: core values, vision, mission, reputation. Advance Program's leadership role and scientific standing.
- Manage research resources - work with Investigators to manage internal data sharing, technology needs/access to cores, and infrastructure planning and development.
- Manage strategic and financial planning for Program. Develop budgets in collaboration with Investigators.
- Oversee budgets and spending in collaboration with finance analyst.
- Organize and contribute to scientific strategy discussions among Program participants, providing feedback as appropriate to advance near- and long-term goals.
- Collaborate with Investigators and personnel to develop high-quality visual presentations, talks, and written presentations for a range of audiences.
- Collaborate with Investigators and Program personnel in publication planning and processes. Provide strategic guidance and editorial feedback on key Program publications.
- Prospect for scientific collaborators, internal and external to JHU, as appropriate. Facilitate and guide discussions with prospective collaborators to ensure complementarity and clarity of expectation.
- Develop and manage collaborative initiatives with other JHU Programs (academic, research or clinical), as appropriate.
- Steward intellectual property portfolio and IP development processes in collaboration with JHU IP specialists.
- Facilitate mentoring and provide informal guidance to Program personnel (fellows, postdocs and students).
- Contribute to special projects, e.g. faculty recruitment efforts or fellowship programs.
- Collaborate on external data sharing procedures.
- Develop Scientific Advisory Board and manage SAB interactions, if/as relevant.
- Develop and manage symposia, seminars, retreats.
- Collaborate with Program Director and Investigators to ensure effective interactions and communications with University leadership and alignment of Program and University strategic goals.
- Liaise with JHU academic and research entities, including organized Centers and Programs.
- Liaise with JHU research development, translational research initiatives, and incubator entities.
Fundraising, Sponsor Relations & Public Relations
- Identify new funding opportunities. Collaborate with Investigators to develop new grant proposal ideas. Liaise with potential funders. Collaborate with Investigators to develop strategies for fundraising (presentations, program descriptions, white papers, etc.), providing critical feedback and strategic guidance as appropriate.
- Oversee proposal writing, ensuring organized and timely delivery of materials. Provide guidance and critical feedback to Investigators and other proposal contributors. Contribute written content to proposals as appropriate.
- Manage all grant reporting, funder communication requirements, and grant renewal processes.
- Liaise with JHU post-award and contract managers, serving as point-of-contact for all requests and requirements.
- Liaise directly with sponsor program manager, finance manager and other colleagues as needed to ensure smooth and effective communications.
- Manage public relations for Program in collaboration with funder and University entities.
- Develop and maintain public website, as appropriate.
- Liaise with JHU development offices.
- Develop public outreach programs if/as appropriate.