The Associate Dean is responsible for all strategic, programmatic and policy issues related to Graduate Medical Education (GME) in the School of Medicine at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU). The person filling this position will report directly to the Senior Associate Dean for Education in the OHSU School of Medicine.
The Associate Dean is expected to be a member of the clinical faculty at OHSU and actively see patients as part of their departmental duties. However, the person filling this position will spend most of their effort on strategic and administrative responsibilities. Specifically, it is expected that the duties and responsibilities of this position will comprise between 0.7 0.9 FTE.
The Associate Dean of GME Position Profile
The person filling this position will have foundational attributes that include a high degree of emotional intelligence and professionalism; outstanding communication skills; agility and adaptability; ability to think in terms of systems; a results-oriented mindset; and the courage and commitment to foster excellence, inclusion and diversity in all aspects of graduate medical education.
The Associate Dean must also have the capability to create new GME programs and grow existing ones; manage complex relationships; lead program directors and administrative staff; build and direct teams; drive improvement based upon data analytics; and think strategically while overseeing operational aspects of the institutions overall GME program.
The Associate Dean must maintain institutional and programmatic accreditation; promote positive and safe learning environments; integrate GME effectively into all three academic missions of an academic health center and the university; develop and support GME leaders, faculty, staff and chief residents; maintain operational oversight by measuring progress and monitoring results; link the overall program to the larger health care and policy environment; and demonstrate a high level commitment to lifelong learning, diversity, patient safety, quality improvement and educational innovation.
The Associate Dean will need to understand and build on current leadership approaches and operations that are currently serving GME well while guarding against complacency and paying attention to areas that may need to improve. The successful candidate will demonstrate leadership skills in supporting residents and fully integrating them into patient care operations; expanding scholarship and quality improvement at the GME level; increasing diversity and inclusion, and fully integrating partners in shaping the future of GME.
The Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education will:
- Provide strategic, programmatic and policy leadership for all issues relating to GME.
- Serve as liaison with the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education as OHSUs Designated Institutional Official.
- Regularly participate in strategic and operational discussions involving GME within OHSU as well as with the universitys educational and clinical partners.
- Advocate for residency and clinical fellowship programs within and outside the institution.
- Ensure the development and maintenance of healthy clinical learning environments in all locations that OHSU residents and clinical fellowships train.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures and best practices to expand and enhance diversity within the ranks of the OHSU house officers to better serve society.
- Align resources with OHSUs clinical enterprise strategic plan while contributing meaningfully to the workforce needs of Oregon and the nation.
- Work collaboratively with the Chief Executive Officers, Chief Medical Officers and Chief Quality Officers associated with OHSU Partners, OHSU Healthcare and OHSU-affiliated organizations in order to integrate the overlapping education and clinical missions as they relate to house officers.
- Participate in institutional efforts that span the educational continuum, including competency-based transitions from medical school to GME as well as the use of data in continuing professional development to change behavior, impact systems and improve patient outcomes.
- Create and monitor a continuous educational improvement model for the overall GME program.
- Engage in education research and foster scholarly productivity of the OHSU GME community.
- Assure program readiness for individual site visits, and for compliance with all aspects of the ACGMEs accreditation system.
- Oversee the activities of the Resident/Fellow and Faculty Wellness Center.
- Provide mentorship, support and appropriate remediation for residency and fellowship programs, their leadership and trainees.
- Chair monthly GME Committee and GME Executive Committee meetings.
- Provide direct supervision of both the Assistant Dean for GME and the GME Director.
- Maintain budgetary oversight of GME operations within and affiliated with OHSU.
- Represent OHSU at national and regional meetings related to graduate medical education.
- Work on special projects at the request of either the Dean or Senior Associate Dean for Education.