About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Fiscal and HR Technician assists the Administrative Services Manager with the day-to-day financial and human resources activities of the Moss Arts Center and the Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology. This position performs and assists with numerous and varied fiscal and HR tasks including financial and HR reconciliations, departmental purchasing and reimbursement activity, student wage recruitment and hiring, payroll, and administrative record-keeping.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assist with departmental reconciliations of revenue, expense, foundation, and sponsored project financial statements.
- Support reconciliation activity by organizing support documentation; maintain organized and complete pending and post-reconciliation files.
- Process purchases of goods and services in the university's HokieMart system and advise other departmental staff on purchasing guidelines and procedures.
- Process travel and other reimbursement requests and advise other departmental staff on travel guidelines and procedures.
- Process departmental billing of external clients though university accounts receivable system and university clients through Banner system.
- Monitor invoices, payments, and account balances for designated payables and receivables.
- Assist with a variety of monthly reviews and follow-up activity, such as encumbrance monitoring, plant work order records organization, and fixed asset records management.
- Assist with review and submission of users' monthly procurement card statement reconciliations.
- Maintain organized and complete in-progress working files and financial documentation to ensure seamless coordination with administrative colleagues.
- Assist with student employee recruitment and hiring, including department's student application site.
- Process personnel transactions in university's Banner HR system and I-9 verification system.
- Maintain wage employee files.
- Monitor emergency hire expiration dates, work study award balances, overtime balances, training completion, and other records.
- Fulfill Department Lead role responsibilities in TimeClock Plus wage payroll system, proactively manage deadline monitoring and staff communications, serve as staff resource for training and problem resolution.
- Act as departmental Leave Representative, proactively manage deadline monitoring and staff communications, serve as staff resource for training and problem resolution.
- Reconcile monthly CNS billing reports to ensure charges are accurate and necessary signatures are obtained and assist with CNS order processing.
- Monitor and order office supplies and materials.
- Oversee incoming and outgoing campus/USPS mail and office shipping activity.
- Manage parking voucher stock and records, copier service calls, and other aspects of office operations.
- Conduct other projects as needs arise.
- Experience providing administrative support in a professional office environment.
- Demonstrated record of performing high-quality, high-volume reconciliation work.
- Experience managing financial and/or human resources records and maintaining confidentiality of sensitive data.
- Strong office computer skills such as high-level proficiency with spreadsheet software such as Excel.
- Record of successfully researching complex issues and recommending solutions to problems.
- Well-developed organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Positive attitude, adaptability, and well-developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain collaborative and productive working relationships with faculty, staff, students, guests, and individuals from other departments.
- Bachelor's or Associate's degree in accounting, business administration, or related field or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Working knowledge of state and university purchasing, travel, HR, and payroll policies and procedures.
- Proficiency with HokieMart, Banner Finance and HR systems, and TimeClock Plus payroll system.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 02/08/2017