The Program Officer for Knowledge Management will be responsible to implement and sustain tools and behaviors that lead to a high-functioning internal knowledge management eco-system that empowers staff to capture and share information for the long term benefit of K-12, the foundation, and the field at large. Integrate various aspects of data seamlessly into a knowledge management framework so information is connected and surfaced easily. Work toward an environment that supports K-12 Knowledge Management (KM) support and collaboration with grantees and eventually the field at large.
- Develop and manage streamlined knowledge management systems to efficiently manage the wealth of information produced by K-12, its partners, and relevant external stakeholders, and ensure the strategic use of this information to catalyze learning and evidence-based decision-making across the Foundation. This will involve working closely with team members to agree planning priorities and work plans.
- Implement data dashboards to track key programmatic and organizational metrics based on K-12 learning and investment needs.
- Manage the relationship with third party software providers of online tools (Drupal, Slack, DropBox, Xendo).
- Provide a strategic view on the further development of knowledge management systems and practices in order to support the work and development of the organization into the future.
- Establish methods and procedures for K-12 to self-report on learnings as well as import knowledge from conferences and professional development
- Determine and support role of senior leadership in contributing to knowledge management eco-system; Help to unite distributed leadership on the best practices for internal collaboration.
- Ensure that all systems supporting knowledge management work are integrated and are appropriately supported and developed to guarantee a high and continuing level of efficiency benefit to the organization.
- Consult with and support K-12 on knowledge management best practices for supporting online networks and communities of practice (infrastructure, platforms, behaviors, and management)
- Take the lead in encouraging employees to share knowledge, ensuring they are aware of the knowledge management resources available to support their work, are appropriately trained and are using the systems efficiently and productively.
- Manage, maintain, and develop the SharePoint intranet system (K-12 Central) to ensure information and K-12 artifacts are preserved and accessible. This includes training individual team leads on SharePoint policy and practices, tracking employee engagement with the intranet, and encouraging ongoing use.
- Lead efforts to maintain sound site navigation (information architecture) across all platforms.
- Identify real business value of KM tools and behaviors (e.g. employee satisfaction, productivity improvements, etc.)
- Develop and manage detailed standard operating procedures defining replicable steps to monitor agreed KM metrics on an ongoing basis
- Measure progress and impact of knowledge generation, knowledge sharing efforts and knowledge products, and integrate KM elements into the management framework to track K-12’s progress in achieving its strategic objectives
- Oversee software selection, including creation of requirements/specifications
- Work closely with the IT Department and software vendors on technical questions of implementation and upgrades
- Working with IT, oversee the coordination and roll out of a K-12 CRM system and encourage team-wide adoption of best practices to store contacts, track relationships, and collaborate with colleagues on relationship building.
Core Knowledge, Education, Skills and Experience:
- 5 - 10 years of experience managing and implementing intranets, content management systems (CMS), customer relationship management systems (CRM) or collaboration software
- Extensive experience and senior technical expertise in the field of knowledge management or content management preferably in a complex or research-driven organization with a proven track record of successfully delivering KM strategies
- Strong organizational and project management skills including proficiency in database management and architecture
- Senior technical expertise with social software and other web-based technologies
- Proficient to advanced experience working with relational databases (i.e. MySQL) and integrating data systems into a knowledge management framework
- Proven experience in the design and delivery of integrated knowledge management systems, coaching and mentoring activities, particularly adult learning techniques, replication of best practices
- Highly experienced with Office applications, including word-processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software
- Understanding of top level business strategies and organizational structures
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership skills to coordinate and facilitate activities with colleagues
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations with diplomacy
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
This is a Limited Term Employee role to backfill for someone who will be out on parental leave. The start and end dates for this assignment may change.
For internal candidates, you are required to have a conversation with your manager to confirm their support before you apply to this position. Managers have the right to decline a request to apply for a backfill position, regardless of tenure in role.
Please apply to this posting to indicate your interest in the role, rather than contacting the hiring manager directly.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.