Countryside Large Animal Externship and Internship programs offer a unique and rewarding opportunity to students and new graduate veterinarians. As a full-service hospital, externs and interns will experience all aspects of a equine and food animal hospital, surgery, and ambulatory veterinary practice. Our primarily equine based clinic makes for easily accessible equine practice knowledge. We serve a largely upper level Western and English performance base clientele. Along with the equine case load a unique aspect of our clinic is the great amount of production animal experience including cattle, swine, goats, sheep, and camelid patients. We strive to create an environment that allows the extern ad intern the opportunity to work with a variety of large animals to gain the experience and the skill set to have a successful career in equine and/ or large animal practice.
Type of Cases: Equine 80%, Bovine 15%, Small Ruminant/Swine/Camelid 5%
80 % In-Hospital
20 % Ambulatory
10 % General Practice/Preventative Care
15 % Surgical
7 % Internal Medicine
7 % Reproduction
45 % Lameness/Sports Medicine
10 % Advanced Diagnostic Imaging
1 % Regulatory Care (horse show testing, racetrack)
5 % Pre-Purchase Exams
- Lameness Diagnosis and Treatment: needle scope, IRAP, PRP, stem cell therapy, ect.
- General and Preventative Medicine
- Complete soft tissue and orthopedic capabilities
- Power Dentistry
- Digital Imaging: Radiography, ultrasonography
- Reproduction Services: Artificial Insemination, stallion collection, embryo transfer, ect.
- Equine Rehabilitation: underwater treadmill
- Farrier on site/Podiatry Center
Food Animal Services
- Bovine, Swine, Small Ruminants, and Camelids
- Herd Health Consultation
- Routine Herd Health Procedures: Pregnancy testing, Brucellosis vaccination and testing, tuberculosis testing, trichomoniasis testing, etc.
- Obstetrical Procedures: Calf and small ruminant deliveries, cesarean sections, etc.
- Breeding Soundness Examinations
- Surgical Procedures: cryptorchid surgery, hernias, vasectomies, penile translocations, cosmetic surgical dehorns, etc.
Externships can be one or more weeks. Housing is not available, however housing resources are.
If interested please send any inquiries, resumes, and dates available to Dr. Mary Hoffmann (firstname.lastname@example.org).