Roles and Responsibilities
Program and Pedagogy
- Lead team members in articulating departmental strategies to support the school’s mission, including goals, action steps, and review of departmental progress.
- Develop with faculty members an inquiry-based, developmentally appropriate curriculum for each grade level that challenges girls to learn independently and collaboratively.
- Be familiar with each grade level’s curriculum, including core texts and essential questions.
- Serve as a member of the school’s Academic Programming and Policy team, supporting the goals of the team’s curricular decisions, ensuring a well-articulated K-12 scope and sequence, and advancing the school’s commitment to faculty growth, renewal, and evaluation.
- Stay current in the literature of the department’s field and regularly share trends and resources with team members.
- Review available data and create internal modes of assessment for evaluation of students’ growth and achievement in the discipline.
Mentoring and Management
- Coordinate the teaching objectives, materials, methodology, and means of assessment used by each teacher within the department, in keeping with best practices in the discipline and the goals of the school’s strategic
- Serve as a role model and mentor/coach, through classroom observations, Folio, and one-on-one meetings, to encourage faculty self-evaluation, professional growth, scholarship, and effective training.
- Support the school and its leadership and serve as a liaison to members of the department with school leadership regarding plans, curriculum development and assessment, resources, facilities, and activities which affect department members.
- Communicate with parents about individual questions as well as on the program as a whole, in line with K-12 scope and sequencing.
- Work within the department to foster supportive, collaborative, and honest teamwork, share and receive feedback that is both situational and regular, and serve as a trusted mediator in moments of conflict or dissent within the department.
- Hold monthly department meetings and provide minutes on MyHewitt
- Develop and manage an annual department budget and order books and supplies.
- Ensure department members understand and follow all school procedures and policies, including MyHewitt, as outlined in the Employee Handbook, division handbooks, and divisional policies and procedures guidelines.
- Collaborate with Division Heads on the search for new faculty in the department.
- Collaborate with the school’s information resources and technology team to ensure access to a wide range of current source materials, including print, database, and digital.
- Work with the Admissions team on Open House events and with placement tests.
- Work with Communications team to best represent for current and prospective families the work of your department.