Education: Bachelor's degree in biology, microbiology, molecular biology, or field of study related to the study of the lab. Master's degree is preferred.
Experience: Three (3) years of relevant experience in the fields of microbiology or molecular biology including two (2) years in a relevant research specialization.
Other: Consideration may be given for a unique combination of education and experience.
May require training related to occupational safety and health, environmental compliance, shipping of hazardous materials and/or ionizing radiation.
* Bachelor's degree in an unrelated field with at least 18 credits in a field related to the research of the laboratory, or Bachelor's degree in unrelated field with at least one year of experience in a field directly related to the research laboratory. Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possesses a knowledge of position requirements and able to perform position in compliance with all requirements/regulations/laws. Ability to understand and utilize scientific/medical terminology and research theory in both oral and written communications. Knowledge and assurance of compliance issues related to laboratory activities. Knowledge in clinical microbiology. Knowledge about Good Laboratory Practices and documentation. Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed and maintain awareness with trends and influences. Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes; makes effective and timely decisions; and learns how to effectively use technology. Maintains productivity and uses knowledge strategies to increase knowledge base. Ability to use measurable and verifiable information for making decisions or judgments.
- Ability to take a lead role in performing and directing various advanced and routine scientific procedures. Ability to perform independent projects and to serve as a consultant in area of technical specialty. Ability to design and recommend changes to research projects and/or area of technical specialty.
- Skill in interpretation and data analysis using statistical software as well as spreadsheet software applications. Ability to diagnose equipment malfunctions and perform simple equipment repairs. Ability to conduct library research and participate in the preparation of journal articles.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts and to understand and utilize relevant scientific/medical terminology and research theory. Writes and presents information in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others and demonstrates professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with other to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday Friday, 8:30am 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.