The Academic Program Administrator will manage activities related to approximately 200 students enrolled in masters programs in the department of Computer Science (CS) and the JHU Information Security Institute (JHUISI). Will also manage all activity related to the CS Summer Research Experience program which includes undergraduate and masters students. Activities include but are not limited to recruitment, admissions, advising, course scheduling, financial services, data management, student services, website content management and event planning.
Essential Job Functions:
Recruitment and Admissions (40%):
- Oversee the application process for CS, JHUISI, and SRE.
- Respond to applicant inquiries for CS, JHUISI, and SRE.
- Actively recruit prospective students.
- Access and maintain data for over 800 student applications and make accessible to CS and JHUISI faculty for review.
- Work closely with faculty and the WSE graduate office on student fellowship awards - identifying available funds and matching with student applicants.
- Generate and send admissions letters. Manage responses from admitted students.
- Coordinate and manage documents and process for enrolling new students.
- Advise international students on the necessary documents and processes for enrollment.
- Generate statistical reports related to application and admission data.
- Coordinate with department Communications Specialist on production of brochures and other marketing materials as necessary.
- Review and update program information on department webpage.
- Schedule campus visits with prospective students.
Student Services (30%):
- Organize and administer new student orientation sessions.
- Advise and assist students with academic, financial and administrative concerns.
- Advise students and faculty on registration process and deadlines.
- Advise students on academic requirements.
- Manage electronic database for student related data.
- Verify and report completion of student requirements, particularly those that relate to graduation, to the Graduate Board.
- Learn and assist faculty with the frequently changing electronic application systems as well as the student entry support system (SIS), student health insurance and tuition tracking system (DGA) and graduation systems, both electronic and manual.
- Enter student funding information in ApplyYourself, and the SIS DGA student databases for >200 graduate students.
- Coordinate information, communication and logistics related to the JHUISI webinar for incoming students. This includes scheduling the date, communicating the contact information to the students, collecting content for slides from participating faculty, coordinating with the IT manager to set up
- Adobe Connect session, and working with the Communications Specialist to prepare PowerPoint slides.
- Prepare various letters for students for travel, employment, funding, OPT, CPT, visas and part-time registration.
- Prepare documentation for visiting undergraduate summer internship programs. Communicate with the visiting student(s) and sponsoring faculty regarding requirements for enrollment paperwork, payroll information, and documents related to the visa process for any international visiting students.
- Coordinate logistics and serve as point of contact for the Summer Research Expeditions program (SRE), including student orientation, reading group, various field trips, record attendance for the presentations class, ordering catering, and student housing.
- Assist alumni in resolving international, transcript and degree verification issues.
- Participate in school academic coordinator and graduate program meetings.
- Serve, as requested, on committees, subgroups and focus groups regarding improvement to academic related policies and processes.
- Meet with security investigators doing background checks for current and past students who are applying for security clearances.
- Use SIS to enter grade changes as necessary.
Events Planning and Coordination (15%)
- Coordinate JHUISI seminar speaker series including room scheduling, taking attendance, ordering, setting up and cleaning up refreshments, posting talk details on the JHUISI web page.
- Provide event support for JHUISI student presentation events including room reservations, refreshment ordering, set up and clean up as needed.
- Coordinate logistics for attendance at various conferences including Grace Hopper and WiCyS including procurement of sponsorship, preparing and shipping items for a booth, and ensuring all registration processes are done in a correct and timely fashion.
- Assist with the annual Cybersecurity Conference co-hosted by JHUISI. Responsibilities include room reservations, ordering catering, setting up parking and shuttles, and assisting with other tasks on an as needed basis.
- Assist with ordering food and/or supplies for student groups and events such as HopHacks and WICS.
- Work with Communications Specialist, and faculty to order promotional materials for conferences, seminars, and student events.
- Manage JHU provided student support by obtaining and organizing budget information for payroll and DGA each semester.
- Assist with CA hiring each semester.
- Manage expenses related to orientation events.
- Process and track student payroll records related to NSF scholarship awards.
- Update information in SIS each semester for CS and JHUISI course schedules. Process any necessary room and schedule change requests.
- Serve as point of contact for the JHUISI Student Organization (SO-JHUISI), and assist with reserving rooms, getting budget approval, and event coordination.
- Assist the Academic Program Administrator with scheduling of Graduate Board Oral exams for PhD students.
- Participate in developing marketing strategies in coordination with the Communications Specialist.
- Maintain database of CS and JHUISI alumni and include them in departmental e-mailings and notices of upcoming events.
- Develop and manage listing of internship opportunities working with students on application processes as needed. Create a pipeline of opportunities by building contacts/relationships with companies and agencies. Communicate opportunities to students in both CS and JHUISI masters programs.
- Develop and maintain synergies with related degree programs within the WSE and other JHU divisions including marketing available masters programs to JHU undergrads.
- Assist with general office responsibilities as needed and as time permits.
- Provide backup assistance for front desk when Administrative Coordinator is out of the office - i.e. receiving packages and deliveries, answering phones, assisting visitors.
- This position communicates formally and informally to share information and resolve problems with current and prospective students as well as JHU offices including the Registrar's Office, Financial Aid office, Graduate Board, Graduate Admissions, WSE Office of Academic Affairs, Office of International Student and Scholar Services, Student Employment Services, Career Center, department faculty, JHU department academic coordinators, WSE Development and Alumni Relations. Makes recommendations to the department chair, institute director, graduate and undergraduate program directors, and faculty committees regarding admissions and academic policies and procedures, student morale issues, etc.