Rowan University is a public comprehensive state-designated research institution with approximately 16,000 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20 miles southeast of Philadelphia, with additional campuses in Camden and Stratford. The University comprises seven colleges and five schools: the William G. Rohrer College of Business; the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering; the Colleges of Communication and Creative Arts, Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics; the Cooper Medical School of Rowan University; the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine; the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences; the School of Health Professions; and the School of Earth and Environment. Rowan is one of two public universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical degree programs. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. Rowan has been recognized as one of the top 100 public universities in the nation and is ranked third among public institutions in the North by U.S. News & World Report.
Rowan University Libraries seeks a tenure-track Scholarly Communication & Data Curation Librarian to lead and provide expertise in scholarly communication, digital scholarship, open access, and data curation at Rowan University. The successful candidate will implement and influence scholarly communication models and work closely with the Division of University Research to develop best practices and procedures in the storage, maintenance, and retrieval of research data. Rowan University has a strategic goal to greatly increase research funding in the coming years. This librarian will collaborate with the Division of University Research and other departments on the Libraries goals to increase our support in the areas of research, scholarly communication, and creative activities. The successful candidate must be flexible and appreciate a changing, ambiguous environment. The position will be offered at the Librarian 2 (Assistant) or Librarian 1 (Associate) depending on the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
- Serve as a campus resource and advocate for scholarly communication services across all disciplines.
- Develop outreach initiatives to encourage faculty to deposit scholarship and creative works in Rowan University?s institutional repository.
- Develop workflows, policies, and processes to support repository services.
- Collaborate with Campbell Library?s Digital Scholarship Center staff in support of programs, projects, and services.
- Assist faculty and staff in their understanding of copyright and publishing policies.
- Promote open access publishing.
- Present workshops and create online content in support of scholarly communication, data sharing and management, open access, altmetrics, and digital scholarship.
- Serve on the Institutional Repository Committee.
- Contribute as a subject liaison as needed.
- Serve on departmental and campus committees.
- ????An ALA-accredited (or foreign equivalent) master?s degree in library and/or information science.
- Experience building scholarly communication efforts within an academic setting.
- An understanding of goals, practices, and policies of research universities and their libraries.
- Demonstrated knowledge of trends and current practices in scholarly communication.
- Demonstrated knowledge of intellectual property issues in an academic environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of research data management.
- Demonstrated understanding of metadata standards for institutional repositories and digital archives.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Evidence of strong writing and public presentation skills.
The successful candidate for this position may be hired at the rank of Librarian II (five years? experience) or Librarian I (13 years? experience or 8 years' experience, plus a second masters degree or a PhD) depending on qualifications.
- Experience managing a bepress Digital Commons repository.
- Experience with digital imaging.
- Experience with digital humanities, including text mining, file conversion, and data analysis.
Rowan University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.