A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
- Plans, prepares and disseminates publicity and information regarding the mission, values, and accomplishments of the Center for International Reproductive Health Training through newspapers, periodicals and visual communication media.
- Research, develop, write, and copy-edit content for publication both electronically and in print
- Maintain and enhance the quality of the CIRHT website
- Oversee and implement social media and Internet resources for the Center
- Cover and post from events, workshops, and conferences items related to the Center’s work, including occasional events held on weekends and during the evening
- Advise and assist faculty, students and other partners with research projects that need communication support.
- Present scientific content and results in an accessible format for consumption by a wide audience
- Build audiences for and engagement around the work of the CIRHT and its projects
- Use electronic tools to conduct daily queries of the global media and the Internet
- Collaborate with communication personnel within the University and CIRHT partners
- Collect data about communications initiatives and adjust strategies according to evidence gathered
- Maintain an excellent knowledge of modern communication strategies, tools, and techniques
- Develop resource guides and develop and deliver presentations on the ongoing work of CIRHT
- Generate press releases and maintain media relations when needed
- Other related duties as assigned
This position reports to the Executive Director of CIRHT and requires onsite presence during the normal business week as well as occasional international travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or a social science discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5-8 years of related professional experience.
- Superior writing and oral communication skills in English
- Demonstrated success in writing engaging content for general audiences in the area of global women's health
- Experience overseeing, developing and implementing websites
- Experience managing and growing audiences for social media
- Expert knowledge of technology and tools associated with communications and multimedia
- Appreciation of and interest in global women’s health issues and in communicating same to organizations involved in global health
- Superior interpersonal skills
- A history of being organized, resourceful, and attentive to detail
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, take initiative, prioritize, delegate, and meet deadlines
Fluency in languages in addition to English is a plus.
This position will also have a reporting relationship with the University of Michigan Health System Department of Communication.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.