NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Pharmacy Technician II.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable state and federal regulations, licensing requirements and professional standards pertaining to storage and inventory control, dispensing and distribution of medication as permitted by the New York State Board of Pharmacy for unlicensed personnel. Operates pharmacy technology and medical systems in filling medication orders. Delivers patient specific medications. Stocks, assembles, and distributes necessary medications. Processes controlled substance requisitions for pharmacist review. Orders and receives shipments.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Completes Veriform unit inspection assignments and Expiration Tracking Report assignments.
Completes annual competency assessments
- Places and expedites orders; verifies receipts; receives shipments as needed.
Appropriately stores and secures medications.
- Demonstrates knowledge of State and Federal laws related to the Medical Centers policy of handling controlled substances.
- Demonstrates proficiency with applicable Pharmacy technology
- Demonstrates proficiency with medication procurement process, stocking and deliveries to units in a timely manner including pneumatic tube.
- Maintains pharmacy inventory by checking stock; anticipates medication demands based on supply level and removes outdated medications.
- Demonstrates proficiency in aseptic technique and IV room procedures
- Cleans, sterilizes, and maintains equipment and work areas according to procedures, rules, and regulations
- Demonstrates proficiency when repacking needed doses.
- Demonstrates proficiency with Hospital Information System, reviews patient information in the medical record system and prints labels when necessary.
- Demonstrates proficiency with unit dose drug distribution.
- Maintains Pharmacy files for patient medication profiles and pulls these charts for the Pharmacists as needed.
- Participates in the training of newly hired Pharmacy Technicians based on departmental training guidelines.
- Answers telephone with courtesy and promptness. Triages phone calls, facilitates medication order workflow, trouble shoots medication order inquiries from nursing.
- Interacts with health care providers and patients, answers questions and requests, and refers inquiries to a Pharmacist where applicable.
- Prepares and accurately documents batched sterile product compounding under the supervision of a Pharmacist.
- Checks current inventory to determine drug and products to be ordered. Places orders with drug wholesaler, materials management, or specialty pharmacy supplier. Receives medication and supplies promptly and stores in appropriate areas accurately document receiving of drugs and supplies, alerts Pharmacy manager of problems or discrepancies.
To qualify you must have a High School Diploma and 2 years prior experience as a Pharmacy Technician or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have knowledge and understanding of medical and pharmaceutical terminology as well as knowledge of procedures and standards for the labeling and dispensing of drugs. Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures. Excellent organization and communication skills and, strong attention to detail required. Strong background in the use of computers and basic Microsoft programs. CPhT Certification from an agency accredited by National Commission for Certifying Agencies, (NCCA) or equivalent..
Required Licenses: Cert Pharmacy Technician
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.