The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is one of the nation's leading orthopaedic and rheumatologic, specialty hospitals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of musculoskeletal diseases. The hospital provides some of the most advanced orthopaedic programs in the region for musculoskeletal disorders and the largest pediatric orthopaedic program in New York City. HJD is consistently ranked among the leading orthopaedic centers nationwide by U.S. News and World Report. Our expert physicians combine extensive experience and research with the latest technology for bone and joint problems that affect patient's ability to function. We specialize in the following areas: Orthopaedic Surgery Rheumatology Neurology Radiology.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Housekeeping Worker in the Environmental Services Department. To qualify a High School Diploma or equivalent is preferred. Must be able to read, write, and communicate simple directions in English. One to two (1-2) years experience cleaning in a Health Care Environment preferred. The ability to stand, bend, lift heavy objects, push, pull, and operate heavy equipment with or without the use of assistive devices.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for the maintenance of an approved level of cleanliness and sanitary conditions of the areas assigned within the Medical Center. Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
- Sweeps, mops, vacuums, collects trash, polishes floors using buffing/burnishing machines, performs high dusting, spot washes and doors as needed, removes marks, cleans and makes beds, washes toilets, cleans furniture, empties trash receptacles, cleans Venetian blinds, radiators, railings, stairways, lights, vents, doors, door frames and cleans picture frames. Washes porters closets, equipment, and replenishes cleaning supplies. Uses telephone for Bed Tracking. Consistently maintains adequate supplies throughout daily work day. Typically is in control of all tools and equipment needed to perform daily tasks. Performs a complete and thorough cleaning of area assigned (as per work assignment/schedule) in accordance with departmental procedures and Supervisors instructions. Empties trash receptacles and disposes of trash properly, washes (interior/exterior) if necessary, and replace clean poly-liners as required. Sweeps hard floor surfaces with sweeping tools, moves all necessary items to make floor lint/dirt-free; uses clean dust mops.
- Mops hard floor surfaces with the appropriate germicidal/bleach solution, clean water and mop head; move all necessary items to make floor lint/dirt free; Vacuums all carpeted area thoroughly; moves all items necessary to vacuum entire carpeted area. Polishes floors using burnishing machines; uses proper burnishing solution and buffing pads. Moves all necessary items to burnish entire floor; ensures that floor has a shine after buffing with Burnisher. Removes as many marks from floor as possible and sweeps floor after burnishing. Washes all beds from discharges and places clean linen on beds neatly. Sets up discharge rooms for admission according to specifications. Should be proficient in operating the computer Bed Tracking System for receiving discharges to be cleaned and reporting completed discharges. Should be knowledgeable in the Bed Tracking program. Performs 7-Cleaning Steps for each patient room daily and provides discharge cleaning as required. Specifically, performs dusting, spot wall washing, damp wiping of environmental surfaces using bleach and/or hospital approved disinfectant cleaner. Sweeps & mops floor, disinfects bathrooms and restocks supplies. Empties and re-lines trash containers. Removes finger marks from walls, doors and any other surface. Performs high dusting as scheduled/required. Uses germicidal cleaner for disinfecting all items in toilets. Knowledge in hospital safety, specifically RACE, PASS, chemical and trash safety, MSDS interpretation. Picks up and disinfects with appropriate solution area soiled by blood, body fluids including feces on any surface.
- Maintains established safety and infection control guidelines. Follows established departmental safety guidelines when using equipment and moving furniture; utilizes proper body mechanics. Requests assistance when lifting or moving items too large or too heavy. Wears gloves at all times and follows established infection control procedures. Washes hands frequently (Infection Control Guidelines), prevents cross contamination. Advises supervisor of any hazardous conditions in the area. Posts appropriate wet floor signs and takes other actions to prevent accidents caused by wet floor as designated by departmental policy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The Hospital for Joint Diseases (HJD) at NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.