NORTHWEST NAZARENE UNIVERSITY
Vice President for External Relations
Description of Position
The position of Vice President for External Relations (VPER) exists to provide leadership and oversight of Northwest Nazarene University’s External Relations sector, a new sector that spans the university’s efforts in regard to Admissions, Advancement, and Marketing & Public Relations. The VPER reports directly to the President and is a member of the President’s Cabinet. The VPER will provide leadership in designing and overseeing the implementation of intentional strategies for enrollment in all of the university’s academic programs, overseeing the marketing of NNU (including the visibility and brand of the university), and increasing financial support to the university from alumni, other individual donors, foundations, and businesses. In addition, the VPER serves as the Executive Director of the Northwest Nazarene University Foundation. Northwest Nazarene University embraces diversity and therefore encourages all who are qualified to apply. Please visit www.nnu.edu for information on Northwest Nazarene University.
Roles and Relationships
The Vice President for External Relations must:
- Embrace the spiritual heritage of the university and promote the advancement of the educational heritage of the Church of the Nazarene.
- Envision and represent Northwest Nazarene University as an outstanding Christian university and promote building its institutional presence and reputation on the NNU campus, in the Boise Valley, and throughout Idaho and the Northwest.
- Administer the enrollment, marketing, and advancement programs of the university under the direction of the President and in accordance with the university’s mission, vision, values, and adopted policies. (The external relations sector encompasses admissions, marketing, public relations, advancement, development, donor records, alumni relations, community and government relations, and leadership of the Northwest Nazarene University Foundation, Inc. and its Board of Directors.)
- Understand and articulate the university’s mission, vision, values, and philosophies while communicating effectively with prospective students, parents, alumni, foundations, businesses, media, and other relevant external constituents, as well as faculty, staff, and students.
- The Vice President will guide the various sectors of the institution directly responsible for recruitment and message, as well as work with all appropriate campus entities regarding admissions and media-related matters.
- Primary responsibility for NNU brand management: definition, identity and awareness, with responsibility to promote and significantly influence price and placement, and also be involved in discussion of all programs.
- The Vice President will guide and have oversight of all fundraising functions of the University, including the University Fund, planned giving, and major donor relations.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the Essential Functions.
The Vice President for External Relations:
- Implements the university’s strategic plan and campus master plan through ongoing review and development of the comprehensive external relations program.
- Provides appropriate oversight, training, leadership and accountability for individual directors within the external relations sector.
- Supervises recruiting and hiring of personnel within the various external relations areas.
- Represents external relations issues and concerns at President’s Cabinet meetings, at meetings of the University Administrative Team, and at other committee meetings as assigned, while simultaneously seeking the best decisions for the university as a whole.
- Ensures that all external relations activities operate within institutional policies and guidelines, and that all such operations comply with regulatory agency policies and are within professional standards.
- Oversees the development and implementation of the external relations budget.
- Serves as executive director of Northwest Nazarene University Foundation, Inc. In cooperation with the President, the VPER assists in NNU Foundation Board recruitment, development, training, and retention, as well as the planning and conducting of Board meetings.
- Oversees the facilitation of building and maintaining positive relationships between the NNU community, the NNU Board of Trustees, and other external constituencies.
- Manage a small portfolio of active leadership and major gift prospects and donors focused on gifts of $250,000+, refreshing the list monthly.
- Interact with the University’s Board of Trustees, serve as a resource person to one or more Board committees, and participate in the semi-annual Board meetings and periodic Board retreats.
- Perform other duties at the delegation and assignment of the President.
The VPER should bring a wealth of personal and professional experience and ability to the position. The professional and personal requirements and attributions include:
- Earned master’s degree, and preferably a doctoral degree, in a field of study relevant to the position;
- Committed Christian, with a history of being a committed church member;
- A passion for the role of Christian higher education in the church and society;
- Preferably a current member of the Church of the Nazarene or if not already, a willingness to join, embrace and actively participate in the Church of the Nazarene;
- Extensive experience in fundraising, recruiting, sales, and/or marketing, and preferably in more than one of these areas;
- Extensive administrative experience, including experience in hiring, training, and promotion of staff;
- Personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness;
- An appreciation for, and model of, servant leadership;
- A willingness to be a student of higher education with an understanding of current trends and movements;
- Entrepreneurial spirit with ability to execute;
- Strong problem-solving, decision-making, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Vital, energetic, relational, and collegial leader, able to nurture the morale of faculty, students, staff and administrators;
- An ability to accept ambiguity;
- An able communicator, listener and collaborative change agent;
- Willing and able to make difficult decisions in a timely matter;
- Ability to perform all Essential Functions of this position;
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality;
- Experience with PC software, especially Microsoft Office applications, and the ability to learn new software;
- Willingness and ability to travel for work, possibly as much as 50-70% during peak periods;
- Ability to view a computer screen for extended periods of time;
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
Salary will be determined by the educational background and experience of each applicant. Full-time personnel will be offered access to a benefits package including health, vision, and dental insurance for employee and family, life and disability insurance, flexible spending plan, tuition benefits, annual leave, sick leave, opportunities for professional development, and a retirement program.
To be considered for this position, a complete application packet must be received. Complete application packet will include the following:
- Letter of interest
- NNU Application
- Responses to the NNU Christian Mission requirement
- Two reference letters from professional associates
- Letter of reference from current pastor
- Transcripts (unofficial acceptable for the hiring process, official required upon hire)
Send, fax or email a complete application packet to:
Human Resources Office
Northwest Nazarene University
623 S. University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
Phone: (208) 467-8036
Fax: (208) 467-8587
Employment at Northwest Nazarene University is contingent upon the results of an independent background check.
Review of applications will begin February 15, 2017. Ideally, the position will be filled on or about March 15, 2017, or another mutually agreeable date. The university reserves the right to extend the closing date or close early as conditions warrant.
Northwest Nazarene University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. As an educational institution operating under the auspices of the Church of the Nazarene, Northwest Nazarene University is permitted, and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Sections 702-703, United States Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended).