Do you enjoy promoting comprehensive benefits and wellness programs? The City of Garland Human Resources department is seeking a self-motivated, confident professional to coordinate and oversee the City’s benefits and wellness programs through innovative strategies and services to improve employee awareness of their benefits programs and health/well-being and reduce health risks/stabilize health care costs. The Benefits & Wellness Coordinator will have the opportunity to engage with over 40 departments and coordinate initiatives with outside consultants, instructors and providers. The ideal candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills, be highly effective in establishing relationships and keep the workforce enthusiastic about benefits and wellness initiatives.
Responsible for researching, administering, promoting, and reviewing the benefits and wellness programs and services with the ultimate goal of reducing employee health risks and stabilizing health care costs for the City of Garland.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Respond to employee inquiries regarding benefit services, payroll deduction, and retirement information.
- Maintain employee benefit records and processes payroll transactions as needed to reflect benefit changes.
- Respond to employee and retiree questions regarding benefits policies and provisions.
- Conduct retirement meetings and provides support to retired employees.
- Provide administrative support for various department functions including Short/Long Term Disability, FMLA, etc.
- Coordinate benefit services and wellness initiatives including classes, fairs, and vendor visits.
- Evaluate programs on an ongoing basis and report effectiveness to the organization.
- Research employee needs and interests and reports results. Analyzes, interprets, and facilitates changes and/or additions to the programs and activities to reflect the changing needs of the employees.
- Research, create, present and market wellness program and benefit information at New Employee Orientations and in articles for the Garland Employee Newsletter.
- Coordinate and oversee a comprehensive wellness program to improve employee health and well-being, to reduce high risk behaviors and reduce health risk factors such as smoking, poor illness-management, poor nutrition and infrequent exercise.
- Assists in negotiation of contracts with outside consultants, instructors and providers. Processes and submits costs proposals and invoices to Benefits Manager.
Physical Requirements / Work Environment
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards.