The Security Officer is responsible for the security of the University and its property and may be scheduled to work on holidays and weekends. The position reports to the Assistant Director of Security. This is a 1^st shift position; work hours are 8:00am to 4:00pm, Saturday through Wednesday.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1. Patrol University property on foot, bicycle and vehicle, to identify hazardous conditions, take corrective measures to reduce or eliminate inappropriate behavior. Contact Downers Grove police for arrest of criminals as needed.
2. Respond to calls for service, including but not limited to, locking/unlocking classrooms, offices, dorms and buildings. Provide motorist assistance for dead batteries and provide emergency medical response utilizing patient assessment to contact EMS or if necessary, utilize cardio pulmonary resuscitation, automated external defibrillator and basic first aid. Conduct investigations, prepare written reports, collect evidence, and gather victim/witness statements of criminal acts and violations of University policy. Perform other duties as assigned by the Director and Assistant Director of Safety and Security.
3. Participate in traffic and pedestrian safety initiatives. This will include seat belt safety checkpoints, parking infractions and pedestrian awareness campaigns.
4. Perform the following tasks as needed; provide customer service and security for welcome center, monitor camera and equipment in the welcome center, open and close campus buildings, direct and escort guests, students and employees, and assist with special events.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or GED and a minimum of 1-2 years security experience required. Police, higher education security, or proprietary security experience is preferred. Must have the ability to work nights, weekends and holidays. Certification in First Aid, CPR and AED preferred.
Familiarity with MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
Intermediate skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Basic skills: Ability apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Basic skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to interpret bar graphs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, use hands to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and sit. The employee must frequently lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, regularly lift 35lbs and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The ability to tolerate prolonged exposure to heat and cold repeat routine tasks is a requirement of the position. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Midwestern University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not discriminate against an employee or applicant based upon race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or veterans status, in accord with 41 C.F.R. 60-1.4(a), 250.5(a), 300.5(a) and 741.5(a).
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
* 1 - 2 years: Security experience.
* Police, higher education security, or proprietary security experience
* High School or better