Westminster is an inclusive, Christian independent day school for boys and girls where bright, motivated, curious students who are nurtured by challenge become leaders of conscience. The School was founded in 1951 and guided by a mission to prepare students for college and for life. With a current enrollment of approximately 1,860 students in grades Pre-First through Twelfth and 280 faculty, Westminster fulfills its mission through a dynamic curriculum that engages children across the key dimensions of their growth--academic, physical, and spiritual.
Job Title: UPPER SCHOOL LIBRARIAN
This faculty member will join a growth-oriented, collaborative learning community committed to the School’s mission and vision, including core values of inclusivity and service. Westminster excels regionally and nationally in every area of school life, from academics to the arts to athletics, achieving excellence through a wide range of programming supported by a wealth of resources. These include the Center for Teaching, a professional development institute located on the Westminster campus.
In fulfilling our mission to “develop the whole person for college and for life,” Westminster hires and retains passionate, talented, diverse educators to offer a rich and engaging curriculum, preparing our students to be lifelong learners and citizens well equipped to address local and global challenges.
Westminster teachers are more than academic experts and serve in a variety of capacities such as coaches, advisors, and inspirational mentors.
Specific to this position, the Carlyle Fraser Library serves a population of 850 students and 100 faculty. The Librarian works closely with the library team to ensure that the Upper School library program is aligned with the mission and vision, of the school and is an integral component of the learning/instruction program. The candidate must be highly organized and able to work effectively with students, teachers, and parent volunteers in the midst of a vibrant, inviting, and changing library environment.
The anticipated start date for this position is August 1, 2017.
Reports to: Director of Libraries and Head of Upper School
- Master’s degree in Library Science
- Previous library instruction or teaching experience
Duties & Responsibilities
- Interpersonal Skills
- Flexible, team-oriented, welcomes challenges, desire to learn and grow
- Ability to develop good, working relationships with all members of the Westminster community: students, faculty/staff and parents
- Desire to work collaboratively with students, faculty, and other librarians
- Willingness to participate in the greater Westminster community through the involvement in extracurricular advisement, coaching or community service
- A good sense of humor and enjoyment of working with young people
- Professional Skills
- Reference experience: classroom instruction and ready reference
- Cataloging and processing experience
- Access services experience (circulation and InterLibrary Loan)
- Ability to make interdisciplinary connections in the curriculum and to partner with
- faculty in designing curriculum
- Ability to coordinate and supervise volunteers
- Knowledge of information ethics and copyright issues
- Knowledge of 21st century learners
- Involvement in professional associations
- Technology Skills
- Experience with Integrated Library Systems, TLC a plus
- Ability to use and teach online databases and other electronic resources to students and faculty
- Willingness to experiment with new technologies
Ability to engage in moderately strenuous physical activity both indoors and out; sitting and standing for long periods of time; ability to become CPR and First Aid Certified.
Equal employment opportunity statement
Westminster is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in employment. It is Westminster’s policy to provide equal employment opportunities and administer terms and conditions of employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Interested Candidates can click here to apply online.