CUHCC’s mission is to seek health equity in our community by advancing the well-being of diverse people. The clinic is known for providing high quality care to diverse patients and is moving forward in improving timely access to care for patients. This position contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the clinic’s services in the psychiatry department. This position is an integral part of the psychiatry team by managing psychiatry referrals, taking phone calls for inpatient hospitalization (IP) discharge planning, managing external referrals related to behavioral health needs, and overseeing psychiatry flow on a day-to-day basis in collaboration with behavioral health nurse, care coordinators, MA/LPNs, and psychiatric providers. This position contributes to discussions and decision related to productivity, provider evaluations, and patient care in psychiatry. This is a highly mobile position, orienting new patients to the psychiatry department, connecting patients to necessary services, and keeping the psychiatry flow moving efficiently and effectively, under the leadership of the Psychiatry Director and Psychiatry Lead.
This position reports to Clinic Manager
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & PERCENTAGE FOR EACH FUNCTION:
1. Oversee psychiatry flow 30%
• Oversee scheduling and productivity, standards set by Psychiatry Lead (e.g. scrubbing schedule, monitoring schedule templates, anticipating needs, balancing caseloads, filling schedules, vacation and holiday coverage, coordinating actions when providers call in sick)
• Coordinate psych ops meeting (e.g. scheduling, managing google invite, taking notes, managing topics to align with strategic direction)
• Attend adult team meeting
• Attend psychiatry team meeting
• Other duties as assigned to support psychiatry team
• Participate in strategic planning, site visits, and evaluation, as requested by Psychiatry Lead
• Participate in training and/or implementation of new policies in psychiatry, as directed by Psychiatry Lead
• Oversee policy adherence, communicating needs to Psychiatry Lead
• Maintain efficient operations (e.g. connect patients to staff/departments, provide verbal updates between parties about urgent needs, ensure coverage for emergency codes)
• Pay attention to details related to psychiatry flow and operations on a day-to-day basis; report trends and system level needs to Psychiatry Lead
2. Psychiatry Referrals 30%
• Manage psychiatry referrals (e.g. calling patients on the waitlist, update referral order tracking, notifying referring provider of outcome, documenting outreach attempts, closing referrals)
• Manage BH external specialty referrals such as external Case Management, CTSS, or neuropsychological testing (e.g. calling external providers to schedule appointments, coordinating with health information management to obtain results, communicating scheduled appointments and directions with patient, notifying referring provider of outcome)
• Coordinating CUHCC group referrals in psychiatry (approximately 4 groups per year)
• Communicate updates about status of psychiatry referrals through internal communication channels and external referral sources (e.g. Center for Sexual Health, COPE, Healthcare for the Homeless, Refugee Health Nurses)
3. Pre/Post Visit Planning New Psychiatry Evaluations 25%
• Provide pre and post visit planning, 30-60min/patient, for new psychiatry evaluations, approximately 20-30/month
• Call patients before new psych evaluation to assess readiness and what to expect
• Orient new psychiatry patients to CUHCC clinic and psychiatry operations
• Obtain ROIs for patient’s care team; gather collateral information as needed
• Make referrals to programs (e.g. Case Management, Care Coordination, ARMHS, DV/SA, or Legal Clinic) as appropriate
• Coach patient about how to schedule follow-up visits before leaving clinic
4. Inpatient Hospitalization Discharge Planning 10%
• Manage inpatient psychiatric discharge planning phone calls (e.g. take phone calls from area hospital social workers, complete template, communicate outcome with care team, schedule follow-up visits), approximately 30 calls/month
• Build relationships with area hospital social workers for smooth transitions of care
• Obtain hospital records as needed; give to HIM to scan
5. Other 5%
• Attend all staff meeting
• Participate in quality improvements , as assigned
-High-level communications skills in written and spoken English.
-Strong project management skills, analytical aptitude and problem solving skills
-Strong time management and organizational skills
-Excellent customer service skills.
-Ability to work with patients and staff from diverse cultures, languages, and backgrounds.
-Capacity to lead and work on a team and make positive contributions to the team.
-Balance between attention to detail and systems-level thinking.