The Senior Technical Support Specialist supports users ensuring successful installation and on-going use of workplace endpoint technologies, servers, hosted solutions and applications within complex environments. This role evaluates new technologies for fit within existing environments. This position manages medium to large projects, working closely with peers and users to deliver optimum service. The Senior Support Specialist contributes to defining and implementing policies, procedures, and standards and ensures their conformance with information systems goals and procedures. This role monitors and troubleshoots complex technical problems utilizing hardware and software testing tools and techniques. This position provides leadership as technical resource to users and team.
Endpoint technology to include workstations, printers, video conferencing equipment, interview room video management system, in-car digital video recorders, body-worn cameras, VPN clients, WAPs, ticket writers, digital signage, radios, GPS tracking devices, mass notification sirens and systems, key management systems, digital and analog voice recorders.
Please Note: This position has a traditional Monday through Friday schedule with the expectation that hours and days may be modified as necessary to meet project or training needs, to troubleshoot and resolve issues that require immediate attention and as deemed otherwise necessary to accommodate the work being performed.
- Recommends, plans, and implements workplace endpoint technology initiatives.
- Analyzes user's infrastructures and recommends or coordinates remedial changes as necessary.
- Functions as consultant to administrators.
- Manages and coordinates projects collaboratively with internal/external clients utilizing the IT unit's systems to meet specific client goals.
- Creates project plans, testing, implementation, and evaluation of system.
- Coordinates training of users.
- Makes formal presentations to large groups.
- Coordinates projects partnering with users to deliver optimum service in regard to installation and maintenance of workplace endpoint technology.
- Tests, implements, and evaluates systems and service results.
- Anticipates customer needs and develops technical services to meet their needs.
- Provides an advanced level of troubleshooting support in response to complex problems, questions and inquiries.
- Typical end of technical escalation chain.
- Resolves the most difficult problems and those that impact the entire department.
- Coaches and mentors staff.
- Manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 3 years' experience in consulting, project management, training, technical support, or user service, in an information technology environment or other relevant experience required.
- Work history demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility and leadership.
- Experience as both an end-user and administrator in service areas such as user support, desktop support, help desk management, and documentation or other relevant experience required.
- In-depth understanding or experience with applications and infrastructure listed below.
- Two or more of the certifications listed below in addition to experience or understanding of one or more areas of compliance as listed below.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and quality experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, management of own time, and respect for the time of others.
- Demonstrate a take ownership attitude.
- Strong leadership qualities especially working with junior technicians.
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful and effective relationships with management, co-workers and customers.
- Ability to act on own initiative to further organizational and University goals.
- Demonstrated experience documenting IT related procedures & processes to improve overall team knowledge.
- Demonstrated familiarity with desktop computing and support environments
- 4-5 years of Desktop Support troubleshooting in a Windows environment.
- 2-3 years of Windows Server Administration
- 1-2 years as Senior Desktop Support acting as an escalation point for technical questions from junior staff
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge and experience with selected computing platforms or network environments, including Windows 7, Windows 10 as well as Microsoft Windows Server operating systems.
- Knowledge of Active Directory with technical support experience of OU structures as well as local and group policies.
- Application and Infrastructure Requirements: Enterprise Applications, Blackboard Connect 5, Kronos, Cognos BI, NetMotion, Tyler – New World Systems, Dell Kace 1000/2000, Motorola-Cassidian, Code42, Cardinal Tracking, ISS 24/7, Pulse, Box, Skype.
- Other: Morse Watchman, IP Sentry, LEADS2000, Visual Cut, Dameware, Motorola Cassidian, 3SI, L3 Mobile , 3xLogicm Panasonic Arbitrator, NICE Analog and IP Recorders, Panasonic, Arbitrator, Panasonic Touchbook.
- Infrastructure (extends across applications): Aruba Wireless, Active Directory Administration, Windows Operating Systemm Amazon Web Services (AWS), Cisco Routers and Switches, Information Security, Juniper Routers, LDAP, Linux Operating System, Microsoft Lync, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook), Microsoft SharePoint, Server Hardware, SQL/MySQL, Storage Hardware, MS Server 2008/2012, SQL Server 2008R2/2012, Web Services, Enterprise Service Bus.
- Certification/Licensure: PMP, CAP, CISM, CCNA/CCNP, CGEIT, CompTIA, Microsoft (MCSE, MCSD, MCSA), SQL Server.
- Compliance: PCI-DSS, HIPAA, FERPA.
- Project: Budgeting, Collaboration and Teamwork, Cost/Benefit Analysis, Evaluate Resources, Facilitate Collaboration, Functional Documentation, Operational Documentation, Organizational Skills.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- This position requires a broad competency level with touches from the desktop, through to the server, in addition to network infrastructure and enterprise applications.
- The qualified candidate will possess exceptional troubleshooting skills and the ability to apply those skills under pressure.
- The qualified candidate will have an understanding of, and experience with, the use of Microsoft’s Active Directory to include group and local policies.
- Experience and knowledge of OS deployment technologies, OS patching and application deployment.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in Computer Science, MIS, or a related field; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Past experience in a University or highly-decentralized corporate environment.
- Advanced experience with Windows OS related to automated software delivery, patch management and Operating System imaging.
- Demonstrated ability working with Windows Server administration, WSUS, DNS, DHCP, networking.
- Hands on experience with full-disk device encryption and encryption key management.
- Intermediate knowledge working with OS imaging automation - PEX/NetBoot Booting, Windows PE, Dell KACE K2000 and K1000, Symantec Endpoint Protection, Microsoft-SCCM, Code42 CrashPlan.
- Intermediate skill level knowledge of Windows Group Policy, Log-in scripts, and PowerShell.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Understanding of network routing, ports and firewalls.
- Experience with Illinois Century Network to include LEADS and NCIC.
- Work with implementation and configuration of HID Access Control, CCure and Commend.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.