The School of Design at Pratt Institute seeks a dynamic individual to serve as Chairperson of the Undergraduate Communications Design department. The department is a recognized leader in the field and currently offers a BFA in communications design with areas of emphasis in graphic design, advertising and branding, and illustration. The chair will provide academic leadership by articulating and carrying out a shared vision within a large and diverse department. The Undergraduate Chair will work closely with the Chair of the Graduate Communications department to develop alliances and collaborations that benefit both departments. Applicants should have strong administrative experience and excellent communication skills with an equitable leadership style.
The selected candidate reports to Dean of the School of Design and will be responsible for developing initiatives to complement, enhance and build upon the prestige and reputation of the communications design program. The Chairperson will oversee approximately 105 faculty, two Assistant Chairs, and an Assistant to the Chair.
Located on Pratt's historic 25-acre campus in the culturally diverse neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, Pratt is an internationally recognized school of architecture, art, design, and information science, which draws students from diverse cultural and geographic backgrounds. We are committed to advancing diversity and inclusion in our curriculum as well as in the ranks of our faculty, students and staff and seek applicants who can contribute to the furtherance of these goals.
- Supervise and develop the department's curriculum and program development for the three disciplinary areas: graphic design; illustration; and advertising/branding
- Recruit, supervise, evaluate and develop faculty.
- Recruit and advise students
- Develop and maintain assessment instruments, including program reviews.
- Teach one course per semester.
- Oversight of the department's budget and allocation of resources, course scheduling and departmental facilities
- Lead departmental efforts in NASAD and MSCHE accreditation.
- Establish links to professional organizations and leading practitioners in the field.
- Assist the Dean and Institutional Advancement in fundraising and to advance the program's profile.
- Serve on School and Institute committees.
- Carry out special projects as assigned by the Dean.
- Perform all other related duties as required.
SALARY is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Applicants must demonstrate exceptional professional achievement in the discipline of communications design. We require a terminal degree or its equivalent in communications design, or a related field; at least five years of administrative experience, preferably in higher education; a minimum of five years of college level teaching experience; and recognized standing in the field. Demonstrated strong administrative and interpersonal skills, demonstrated level of inter-cultural competence and ability to work with diverse populations, understanding the educational benefits of diversity, and a commitment to diversity and inclusion are essential.
Review of applications to begin February 15, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. Please submit: a letter of intent, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information for three professional references via our internal application site at http://tinyurl.com/hncokzl
Please also submit a portfolio of professional work and student work with up to 20 examples via Slideroom at: https://prattjobs.slideroom.com/#/permalink/program/35252
PRATT INSTITUTE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND RECOGNIZES AND VALUES THE BENEFITS OF A DIVERSE WORKFORCE.