NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a FGP Secretary I-Intake/Scheduler.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for providing basic support services for Medical Office intake operations. Assist with post-visit inter-departmental scheduling for patient visits, treatments, and procedures in collaboration with other areas within the Medical Center. Obtains pre-authorizations/certifications for treatments and diagnostic procedures as appropriate.May provide assistance to less senior staff and cover the front-desk as needed.
- Maintains supplies and cleanliness of space, restocks supplies as needed. Notifies supervisor of any shortage of supplies.
- May assist, provide guidance and/or train less senior staff with completing intake related duties.
- Prepares simple, routine memoranda letters, labels, routine manuscripts, correspondence and other documents as needed. Reviews work for accuracy and completeness. May maintain routine calendar, assist in basic preparing for conferences and the related duties.
- Maintains workload statistics and other data for departmental records. Records statistics in established time intervals designated by supervisor. Follows instructions given by supervisor and prepares information neatly.
- Primarily responsible for taking patient phone calls and scheduling over the phone. Greets and screens telephone calls in a pleasant and professional manner. Schedules appointments for visits, procedures and follow-ups. Collects patient demographic related data, electronically verifies insurance eligibility, coordinates pre-authorizations as appropriate, takes medical history, and assigns appointment to Physician based on procedure and insurance coverage. Refers Surgical and Infusion scheduling to Senior Medical Secretary
- Post patient-appointment, coordinates inter-departmental scheduling for specialist visits, scans and procedures in accordance with insurance coverage, in compliance with physician directives. Collaborates with other areas of the Medical Center as well as Insurance providers to obtain pre-authorizations/certifications for treatments and diagnostic procedures, and ensures patient is eligible at the time of their appointment. Refers to Senior Medical Secretary for scheduling related to Surgery and Infusion.
- Responsible for Pre-Authorizations and Certifications with the exception of surgical procedures. Ensures that appropriate procedure and diagnosis coding is utilized in the pre-certification and verification process and questions physicians, if appropriate, to ensure accuracy and completeness of information.
- Performs other related duties as needed by providers and supervisors.
- Provides reception assistance (i.e. greet patients, answer calls, requests for assistance are directed to proper individual, etc.) Screens telephone callers in pleasant and a professional manner; handles call; take messages or directs caller to appropriate person or area.
- Schedules routine appointments and follow ups for visits and procedures that do not require/or have already been pre-authorized. Prepares the daily schedule. Refers all inquiries regarding pre-authorizations/certifications to the Medical Secretary.
- Responsible for patient check-in and check-out. Gathers all patient demographic related data and materials from patients and/or their representatives. Obtains insurance information (ID card, member/group #s, etc.), verifies insurance eligibility electronically, takes their picture and asks them to use Patient Secure. On subsequent visits, asks them to verify demographic info and makes any necessary edits. Collect and ask patients to sign patient related documents including HIPAA, MSPQ, ABN, etc. Follow up with patients and/or their representatives, physician offices, etc to gather missing data and materials in order to complete the intake process, or refers to more senior level staff.
- Scan all necessary documents (insurance cards, lab requisitions, etc) into the intake system.
- Monitors intake work queue for timely intake completion.
- Refers patients who have a question regarding insurance coverage or are in need of counsel on financial matters based on established criteria (e.g., denial of electronic insurance eligibility, ABN questions/concerns, questions regarding insurance or pay-or restrictions, making payment, multi plan determinations, any and all issues/questions/concerns relating to financial matters) to the Business Office Associate.
- Maintains cooperative and professional relationships with physicians, nurses and office and clinical staff.
- Types routine material such as forms and letters, envelopes, etc. Types materials neatly, accurately and according to instructions. Writes materials clearly and legibly.
- Answers patient questions to ensure understanding and patient satisfaction, or refers them to more senior level staff. Maintains confidentiality on matters to which they are privileged.
- Maintains and receives files for area. Maintains files in organized and up-to-date manner in order to facilitate their retrieval. Completes filing in accordance with departmental procedures. Sorts and distributes documents and forms for area section. Distributes materials according to content of communications and departmental procedures. Logs in materials with respect to time and data when applicable. Processes incoming and outgoing documents. Completes forms neatly. Secures appropriate signatures and forwards documents/forms to correct destination based on pertinent Medical Center procedures. Maintains copy for files. Faxes documents in accordance with departmental procedures.
- High School diploma
- One year of relevant medical clerical experience
- Must include prior physician practice experience and knowledge of medical terminology
- Light, accurate keyboarding skills required
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communications skills required
- Fluency in Russian preferred
- Knowledge of computer-based scheduling and appointment programs
- Excellent telephone skills
- Background in computer literacy preferred
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.