The Director of Campus Recreation is responsible for the overall vision, strategic planning, assessment, administration and operation of a Campus Recreation program that provides programs in intramural sports, aquatics, fitness, sport clubs, informal recreation, outdoor recreation and special events for the university campus. When time and resources allow some services are provided to surrounding community.
* Operate and oversee multiple facilities including the Student Recreational Facility (96,000 sq. ft.), Elam Center (145,845 sq. ft.), Skyhawk Fieldhouse (72,017 sq. ft.), along with various outdoor recreation areas that includes intramural fields, 10 tennis courts, 1.5 mile fitness trail and track which serves the needs of students, faculty, staff and guests of the University.
* Direct the strategic planning process for Campus Recreation: establish the vision and direction for the organization, make decisions on administrative or operational matters, lead the development and implementation of short term and long-term plans consistent with a strategic plan to ensure mission effectiveness.
* Develop and implement policy, manage human resources, deliver quality services, assess programs and services, serve as advocate for diversity and inclusion, aid in student development, insure adherence to health and safety requirements, manage buildings and their maintenance, develop programs, direct intramural and club sports, outdoor adventure, fitness and wellness programs, schedule facilities and rentals, negotiate contracts, and manage all financial operations associated with the department and the facilities.
* Plan, design, influence and implement Campus Recreation programs and services.
* Provide vision planning and professional leadership for a program comprised of 7 full time employees and approximately 120 student employees who provide recreational programs and services to the university and surrounding community.
* Serve as a liaison with the Athletic Department and the Health and Human Performance Department along with multiple departments throughout the university
* Master's Degree in Recreation Administration, Business Administration, Sports Management, Higher Education or closely related field.
* Five ten years of progressive leadership/management experience directing aspects of a recreation programs or university department.
* Substantial experience managing multiple facilities, programs, budget, staff, recreation facility operations and knowledge of common policy issues affecting recreation at an institutional level.
* Skill and experience to conduct department wide assessment to evaluate the impact of activities on academic success and overall well-being of students.
* Advanced knowledge of financial analysis, human resources and risk management as it relates to recreational sports programs and services.
* Excellent skills in conflict management techniques; skills in establishing and implementing customer service standards.
* Knowledge of shared usage practices and priorities between facilities, programs, and services (recreation, athletics).
* Exceptional communication skills including ability to write clear and concise reports and correspondence; ability to interact effectively with many levels of personnel.
* Interpersonal skills to work effectively and establish collaborative working relationships with persons from diverse backgrounds and at various organizational levels within and outside the university.
* Creative, multi-task oriented with ability to generate energy, enthusiasm and experience to the Office of Campus Recreation
* Experience directing recreation programs in a university setting
Application Process: Applicants must apply online and attach a cover letter and resume
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately. The anticipated start date for this position will be April 3, 2017
Pay Grade 42 Salary commensurate with education and experience
The primary purpose of the University of Tennessee at Martin is to provide a quality undergraduate education in a traditional collegiate atmosphere characterized at all levels by close collaboration among students, faculty and staff. In addition, the university is dedicated to meeting lifelong educational needs by providing graduate programs, distance-learning opportunities and other creative ende...avors. Furthermore, the university is committed to advancing the regional and global community through scholarly activities, research and public service.