About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Plant Operator Assistant operates all ash removal and related equipment. Assists plant operator with the operation of coal, gas, and oil fired boilers and auxiliary equipment and in the operation of air pollution control equipment. Operates boilers and turbo-generators for training purposes and during emergency conditions. Performs preventive maintenance on plant equipment, including lubrication. Assists in water handling and testing including the regeneration of demineralizers, condensate polishers, and domestic softeners. Operates loader and coal delivery systems as required.
- Demonstrated mechanical experience and/or completed course work in mechanical/HVAC/process instrumentation.
- American Society of Power Engineers Power Plant 3rd Class (PO3) or equivalent, or must obtain within 18 months of employment into position.
- Ability to learn and perform water analysis and softener regeneration procedures.
- Ability to interpret instructions and complete assignments as part of a team.
- Ability to key and record data.
- Ability to work shift work.
- Ability to safely, frequently and independently move and handle (including pushing/pulling) items weighing up to 50 pounds; ability to climb steps and ladders up to four stories; and ability to work in confined spaces, in extreme heat and dusty environments. Though work is performed primarily indoors, must be able to work outside in all weather conditions. Work may require bending, crouching and/or kneeling, standing, sitting and walking for up to one hour duration at a time.
- Previous experience in a power plant and/or with high pressure boiler related experience.
- Courses taken in mechanical/HVAC/process instrumentation and/or steam boiler operation.
- American Society of Power Engineers Power Plant 3rd Class (PO3) or equivalent.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 01/30/2017