About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Landscape Designer works as a member of a project team under the direction of the Director and/or Project Manager to develop conceptual landscape designs for communities primarily in Virginia, and periodically in adjacent states. This position provides assistance in the development of conceptual designs, renderings, project reports, and preparations for community workshops and presentations.
Project responsibilities include site inventory and analysis, background and case study research for projects, and conceptual design development. The position provides graphic and other project support such as taking notes and photographs at community meetings for other project teams. This position works alongside student landscape or architecture designers, presents at community meetings, works efficiently within project timelines and budgets, and writes project reports. Travel will be required for several trips per semester and will sometimes include overnight travel, depending on project locations
- Understanding of the design process from site inventory and analysis through conceptual design development.
- Strong hand and/or computer rendering skills.
- Graphics skills related to page layout for reports and presentation boards.
- High proficiency in software such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Sketchup, AutoCad, and Microsoft Office.
- GIS experience.
- Strong communication skills, organizational and time management skills.
- Must be a communicative team player and creative, flexible thinker with the ability to think outside the box while balancing the practical design needs of communities.
- Must be able to tailor work to meet the needs of various projects underway and be a motivated, self-starter comfortable working independently and in teams.
- Experience working with community groups.
- Experience working in a university environment.
- Intermediate GIS experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Landscape Architecture or equivalent level of training or practical landscape design experience.
Employee Category: Hourly Wage Staff, limited to 1500 hrs/year
Appointment Type: Temp, non-salaried wage
Percent Employment: Part-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 01/23/2017