The hours for this position are: 11a-1130p and every other weekend.
In this position, the Lead Registration Specialist in the Emergency Department is responsible for Patient Access functions including, but not limited to, acting as a resource to the Registration Specialists, acting as a liaison between staff and management, gathering pertinent information from patients/families and registering patients at admission, performing a variety of general clerical, reception and record maintenance duties and processing primary and secondary billing information.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Registration and Admission Process
- Interviews patient and/or family to obtain current, accurate and complete registration information.
- Performs patient registration, obtaining demographic and insurance information and completing Medicare MSP and ABNâ??s
- Initiates phone calls to complete patient demographic information
- Completes appropriate paperwork with patient to ensure compliance with Medicare and Medicaid.
- Responsible for obtaining and verifying insurance benefits prior to patient arrival in the case of scheduled procedures.
- Responsible for forwarding new insurance/employer information to person responsible for maintaining those master files.
- Refers patients to the Financial Counselor for any assistance options as well as providing information on Medicaid and charity care applications
- Gathers co-payments at time of registration
- Identifies and makes recommendations to Supervisor regarding ongoing educational needs of registrars.
- Assesses, plans, and implements orientation program for registrars
- Mentors staff to increase personal and professional effectiveness by providing timely feedback on both acceptable and unacceptable performance/behavior.
- Facilitates the standardization of work flow and processes within the role of the registrar.
- Assists with developing the staff schedule