| Advertised Summary Job Description: Reporting to the Director for Entrepreneurship for OAD and partnering closely with the Director of Operations at the Columbia Data Science Institute (DSI), the Associate Director for Entrepreneurship & Collaboratory will divide her/his time between Columbia Entrepreneurship (CE) and the Collaboratory@Columbia (C@C) projects. Both of these projects are University-wide initiatives operating out of the Office of the President and lead by Special Advisor to the President. This position demands the ability to efficiently and flexibly manage tasks and projects due to the overlap of skills, tasks, and objectives that are in common between the two organizations.|
Because so much of the work done by CE and C@C is in collaboration with other organizations, exemplary relationship management and client service is a key requirement. Because these organizations are lean and versatile, independent program ownership is critical to the success of the Associate Director position. This individual will work in conjunction with many faculty and senior leaders across multiple schools, organizations, student clubs, and alumni groups.
As it relates to both Columbia Entrepreneurship and the Collaboratory@Columbia, the Associate Director, will be responsible for the following:
- Co-leading the CE team with financial management and tracking
- Coordinating the CE team event management including: Office hours at the Lab; faculty gatherings at C@C; workshops and University-wide conferences for both CE and C@C; and event support for individual C@C faculty teams and C@C info sessions.
- Calendar management for CE and the C@C websites.
- Scheduling for meetings between Data Science Institute (DSI), CE, and C@C faculty.
- Assist with finance management including liaising between the Offices of the Provost, the President, the DSI, and CE. Ensuring timely distribution of funds to C@C grantees and vendors; ensuring fiscal responsibility practices.
- Develop, review and maintain budgets and provide assistance with rent collection at the Columbia Startup Lab.
- Managing all inbound communications sent to CE and C@C inbound email aliases.
- Coordination of communications including newsletters, committee binders, websites, social media, and annual reports.
- Work with the Director to define and report on key performance indicators and success metrics for all programs.
- Co-leading the tracking of progress for the startups, past, present, and future, and providing reports on the vitality of the current ventures.
- Act as the primary liaison between CE and the Columbia Startup Lab facility owner (WeWork) and the Columbia Design Studio.
- Managing the process, paper flow, tracking logs, recording, and reporting for faculty proposal submissions and updates.
- Managing the faculty selectee roster and course development progress with all funded projects.
- Other projects as assigned in order to meet the needs of the Department
The Associate Director should also expect to receive a myriad array of special projects and related duties as the CE and C@C organizations grow in order to meet new requirements and take advantage of new opportunities as they arise.
General Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree required. Four to six years' related experience required. Must have a valid driver's license and be able and willing to travel. Strong proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications including Access, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint are required necessary. Some night and weekend work will be required.
Additional Specific Minimum Qualifications: The candidate must exhibit an effusive customer service attitude and possess the ability to problem solve and assist in creating new processes and procedure. The Associate Director must have excellent organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, and an acute attention to detail. The individual must possess the ability to confidently and comfortably speak in public. Demonstrated excellence in a variety of competencies including: teamwork, management, analytical thinking, and customer service.
Preferred Qualifications: Advanced degree preferred. Prior experience working in a higher educational institution or similar not-for-profit organization with experience working with executives, faculty, students, and alumni is highly preferred . Proficiency in WordPress and Adobe Photoshop is highly desirable.
As a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and the Council of Ivy Group Presidents (Ivy League), it is imperative that members of the Columbia University community, in all matters related to the intercollegiate athletics program, exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, University, and Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Physical Education rules and regulations.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.